Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Memory Error Dell

This is a discussion on Memory Error Dell within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. If this is the wrong forum to post please move to the correct one. What have a system that is

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
AVB
TSF Enthusiast

If this is the wrong forum to post please move to the correct one.

What have a system that is nearly hanging with lost of files. Found one memory partially plugged in. Reseated the chip with the power off of course.

Still having problems with the Dell Optiplex 760. Ran their test software on the MB and I am getting error 2000-0123 and 2000-0142. So do I just to replace the memory chips or do I have a more serious problem.

Luckily this is one that I use as a workstation in my shop and have bulk of my file on the one in the office. Just a pain to walk back and forth 400' each way to do my billing and research.

AVB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Test one chip at a time.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
AVB
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Test one chip at a time.
Not knowing these newer boards are they still where they can run two dimms or single dimms? ( whatever they are using now) The setup is four of them on board.

I have been out of the computer repair business for a fair amount time.

I hate break down the only other system like it in case I damage another dimm my business would be on the shut down until I could an another system in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

The old cautions still apply. Anti static strap and just hold RAM by its edges. I would blow out computer dust first. # of slots depends on MOBO.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #5
AVB
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks Corday. I found only need slot 1 to run the tests. I two in now and they are passing the tests when it finishes then put another one in slot 3 and retest. My luck it will the last one tested just like when you drop a piece toast with jelly as it always seems to hit the floor jelly side down.

Boy am I rusty at this but I did blow all the dust out first in case was an overheat problem. Already know I am going reinstall the operating system from the hidden partition. With that I may need help getting the windows updates working again as that a problem when I first got both systems.

Btw what is the least Win7 64bit will run on. The dimms in it are 2 gig a piece. If proves to be a dimm then I can either go down to Best Buy or order one.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
AVB
TSF Enthusiast

Also forgive for foolish questions for I rather look like fool then be one for not asking something I don't know and have things go South.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:47 AM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

2 to 4 gigs depending on your hardware.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #8
AVB
TSF Enthusiast

Tnx.

As expected it was the last one I tested of the 2 GB dimms. I put it in this morning, started the test, and went for a cup of coffee. The thing was giving an error alert when I got back.

I got 6 GB in it that works so I should be good on that front. But it also looks like I might have HD failure too. I wouldn't know until Windows gets through its thing.

Oh well....I might had a power spike. Several t-storms have pass through area in the last couple weeks. That surge should have taken of it but you never know for sure.

Anyway thanks for putting me back on the right path. I needed those cobwebs cleared.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:25 PM   #9
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

You can test the hard drive with Seatools for DOS to eliminate any Windows issues.
> How to perform a Seagate's Seatools Test - Tech Support Forum

Providing it is a plain old platter drive and not a SSD or hybrid drive.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #10
AVB
TSF Enthusiast

Finally got through with Windows Start-up Repair of course failed after repairing disc. On second pass it says I lost one of the main operating system files. That bad memory scramble things very bad. Awaiting a recovery disc to reinstall the operating system. None on the HD for the Dell so its a clean install.

Oh well at least I found the root cause problem. Bad Dimm that cause a lost of a system file. No wonder it won't boot to Win 7 64bit now. Just boots and accepts password then hangs.

Now this time I will get some DVDs and make complete system back-up like I should already done. This is a big on my part as I know better than this just haven't done it as other legal matters were more pressing.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #11
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

A dimm error should not have caused operating system file corruption once written they are only read on start up not rewritten, unless there was a update involved?
Old 04-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
AVB
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench97 View Post
A dimm error should not have caused operating system file corruption once written they are only read on start up not rewritten, unless there was a update involved?
Yes there was a recent update. Then I started a few days ago having Microsoft Essentials shutting down overnight. Then I found that defrag program was missing from the system. So I was doing a routine HD scan and repair operation at startup when everything went South. Personally I think that when it got affected.

As I said I found one dimm not fully plugged in but that wasn't the bad one. There was 4 ea of them with 3 the same brand and one oddball. That the one that failed.

Things like this I deal with on a daily basis where what seems impossible happens; though, less electronics and software is involved. I have been told it is impossible for a 2 cycle to backfire through the carb. Well I know better.

Also I have been told it impossible for a calculator to add wrong but I replaced quite a few CPUs back in the early 80's because one model was doing it. The strange thing about it was it only did when certain numbers added together.
Closed Thread