Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

maybe RAM problem? but not sure...

This is a discussion on maybe RAM problem? but not sure... within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a desktop computer issue that has been baffling me for a couple weeks now. The symptom of the

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a desktop computer issue that has been baffling me for a couple weeks now. The symptom of the this issue is that when I do random functions within Windows and I am getting a full lock-up (basic color palettes in pattern across entire screen) with the only option being a hard restart after powering down the computer manually.

These are the system specs. Nothing is overclocked, factory settings.
i7-960
DX58SO Intel motherboard
1600 Mhz 9-9-9-24 Corsair RAM in 2 GB sticks (various amounts 4gb to 8gb)
Corsair GS700 700 watt PSU
BFG NVidia 280 GTX
WD 500 GB HDD

It sounds like "artificating" of the video card, but I can assure you this happens inside of Windows at times, when I launch say Outlook and firefox and put a load on the system. It will be locked up if I leave the computer idling sometimes and I can back to the rainbow lock-up screen. The video card is manually overridden to run at 100% fan speed at all times.

The case looks pretty clean, and this wasn't an issue until about 2-3 weeks ago. I replaced the PSU with a bigger one, still having the same issue. I've pulled all but 4gb of RAM and it still happens. It seems that I can catalyze the problem by running more intense applications (i.e. MW3 or battlefield 3 w/ pandora, firefox, outlook, etc running) so could it be in the CPU?

I did use Intel Extreme Tuning Software once to "very slightly exceed factory specs" and it ever-so-slightly adjusted the ram, cpu by literally like a 1% OC. I reverted.

I am pretty handy with computers, but I need advice on this one. This usually made me think video card but I just don't see how it is. I have a 9800GT as a backup I could use to test this theory, but I figured I would take it to the forums first.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Emeritus

I would also think it's a GPU issue. Definitely try a different GPU in your PC or try your GPU in another PC.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Your description of ram in this post scares me and I have little luck with Corsair ram. Are you mixing model numbers here and if so or not have you run memtest86 to check compatibility of what you have in there?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

What changed a couple of weeks ago? Any component upgrades, especially RAM? Are there any errors logged in event viewer? In order to rule out gpu faults, stress test your system while connected to onboard graphics only. For the cpu, run prime95 for atleast 30 minutes. I used to have this problem and guess what? My cpu was overheating, becoming unstable and eventually crashing with color patches on the screen. One of the four heatsink pins was broken and firm, airtight contact had been lost between the heatsink and cpu. How are your cpu temperatures (at atleast 50% cpu load)? As Rich-M suggests, run memtest just to rule out RAM compatibilities, but that is if there have been any changes with regard to RAM, that is: upgrades, BIOS settings such as voltage and clock speed.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Emeritus

I noticed you changed the PSU. Brand & Model of the previous PSU and how long was it used with the 280GTX?
I've used a ton of Corsair RAM without issues but it is always a possibility.

Closed Thread