Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

mac ram in a pc laptop

This is a discussion on mac ram in a pc laptop within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. can I put Macintosh ram from a laptop into my normal pc laptop

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

can I put Macintosh ram from a laptop into my normal pc laptop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

mac desktop ram is different type of ram than a laptop would take. Laptops use SODIMMS whilsts desktops take DDRAM

a mac laptop and pc laptop is possible but it would be best to check on the manufacturers website as they will list the makes and speeds of ram the system could take.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Networking Team |Tech

Hi zer0118,

It can be a gamble and I don't recommend it. It's possible just like the other poster said but I would still buy RAM dedicated solely for PC. Hope everything works out well for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
can I put Macintosh ram from a laptop into my normal pc laptop
You cannot even be sure you can safely use RAM from one "normal PC laptop" into another "normal PC laptop"! For one, it may not physically fit as different RAM types have different pin configurations. DDR3, for example, will not physically fit (without using excessive and destructive force) into a DDR2 RAM slot. And for another, even if the same RAM type, there is no certainty the chipset on the 2nd laptop supports that RAM. The voltages and speeds may be too different or densities unsupported.

IMO, it would be a bad idea to even try it. Considering RAM is cheap (compared to other computer components), if you need more RAM, research what is compatible, then buy new.

You might start with the Crucial Memory Advisor.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Emeritus

RAM should be added in matched pairs to avoid problems. Crucial brand is the best choice for OEM application to help insure compatibility..

Old 11-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
RAM should be added in matched pairs to avoid problems.
Unless your motherboard supports triple-channel memory architecture, as many do. Then you need to add RAM in matched threes to take advantage of the improved performance triple channel memory architecture offers.

Without "matched" RAM, the RAM will mostly likely still work (if supported by the chipset), but the motherboard may default to the slower performing single channel memory mode.
Closed Thread