Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Looking for a new PSU, any suggestions?

This is a discussion on Looking for a new PSU, any suggestions? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello Everyone! I am having some issues, and I am looking to replace my PSU.. Games such as Fry Cry

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello Everyone!

I am having some issues, and I am looking to replace my PSU.. Games such as Fry Cry 3, Crisis 3 crash constantly. I will get a message stating the Driver Crashed.

Sometimes after a game crashes, the entire pc will need a hard reboot, other times, it just recovers and I can use it again. Sometimes it will recover, but will be unstable until next restart.

All very Iffy. Any ideas?

My Theories; Bad GPU or Weak PSU?
Things I tried; Clean OS Install, all games reinstalled, different drivers, different OS's, MSI Kombustor , OCCT Tests.

I do not have access to a testing rig. Tried Different Mobo though.

Some games never crash ( or recover so fast I don't notice)
Planeside 2 High Settings
Civ 5 Ultra( may have crashed once, but recovered)
Total War
Blender 3d
Unity
Visual Studios
Skyrim

The Current PSU I have is Corsair CX 500. I am looking at getting the Corsair RM 650. It is modular and Gold Rated.
My Current Build is
If you see any incompatibilities, please let me know.
OS; Duel Booting Windows 8.1 and Win7 Pro Both x64
CPU;FX 6350
MB; MSI 970A-G46
GPU; R9 270x
RAM; Kingston 1333 DDR3 6 GIGs x3(2Gig Sticks)
FANS; 6 140mm Fans
HDD; 1T WD Blue 7200rpm, 1 500g 7,200 WD.
EXTRAS; NZXT HUE, SanDisk Ready Cache, Sound Blaster Z.
Commonly Used Peripherals; Wacom Tablet Bamboo, Razor Naga Mouse, g510s Keyboard, Akai MPK Mini.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Emeritus

Your PSU is the bare minimum for the R9 270x so it could be a problem and especially if it has a few yrs. on it.
XFX-Antec HCG are top quality....... 550W minimum to 620W preferable. Corsair are "OK" but not recommended here.
Have you checked the Temps & Voltages in the Bios at idle? You can check the same with HWMomnitor after doing some intense apps/gaming: HWMonitor CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
Another good possibility for crashing would be the Kingston RAM.
Using 3 RAM sticks, on a Dual Channel Mobo, is probably putting you in Single Channel Mode and performance suffers.
Try removing the odd stick and see if it helps. If not, run MemTest 86 on one stick at a time letting it make a minimum of 7 passes: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Old 02-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hello Tyree. I have ran some tests. The PC Ram seems clean. Doesn't come up with errors. I am looking at a new PSU or RAM.. Also, I seemed to have fixed the problem by down clocking the GPU Memory from 1400 to 1200 and the core clock from 1080 to 925 seemed to fix the issue, but I need to play or run more tests, for longer period of time, seeing how its Sunday, maybe I will have time. I will post back if the crashing has indeed stopped! ( DO NOT MARK AS SOLVED PLEASE)

Anyway, any ideas as to why this helped?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 02:49 AM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Downclocking the GPU Memory from 1400 to 1200 and the core clock from 1080 to 925 seemed to fix the issue.
Any ideas as to why this helped?
Clocked lower than stock, in fact lower than reference.
Will cause the card to draw less power. Tells me this may well be related to power, but could also be a defective card.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:42 AM   #5
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshThen00b View Post
Hello Tyree. I have ran some tests.
What tests?
If you ran MemTest on one stick at a time, let it make at least 7 passes and no errors were noted, the RAM is OK.
Did you try HWMonitor? If so, what were the Temps & Voltages reported?
Try your GPU in another PC to determine if it is a problem.
How old is the build?
Can you borrow a good quality 550W minimum PSU to try?

Old 02-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

Pin

Hello Everyone,
@Tyree, I do not have access to a more powerful PSU to conduct more testing. My system is the only one I have available to me ATM. On Memtest I got no errors, but I decided to purchas more ram anyway, which was a very bad idea. I will be ordering a new PSU soon as well. If this doesn't solve the problem, ill just chalk it up to a bad GPU and see if I can get an RMA going, which I doubt seeing how its 1 month old..

Anyway, side track, I bought new RAM which was dumb, and I think one stick came DOA.. here is a few screen shots of task manager.

Task Manager says I have 8 gigs of RAM installed but 4 gigs is System Reserved, and my BIOS says I have 8 gigs.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Emeritus

What new RAM and how much? Are you mixing RAM brands/specs?

Old 02-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
Registered Member

Hello tyree. I am not mixing RAM. The brand is AMD RADEON R9 Gamer Series, just like my GPU. It is 8 Gigs, 4Gigs X2
Old 02-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hello Everyone!!

I have some more pictures!! Also, no errors on RAM for my old ram. I RMA'd the new one..Anyway, here is HWM screen shot of power, why does 12v say 14??
Temp_V_zps6727eacb.png Photo by josh_rodriguez91 | Photobucket
Old 02-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #10
Emeritus

HWMonitor can have problems with some Mobo's. Use the Bios to check the Voltages. If it also shows 14V on the +12V rail, you have a power problem.

Quote:
RAM; Kingston 1333 DDR3 6 GIGs x3(2Gig Sticks)
Quote:
It is 8 Gigs, 4Gigs X2
Which post is correct?

Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
Registered Member

I have 6 gigs of Ram, Kingston. 2G (x3)
Old 03-01-2014, 05:51 AM   #12
Emeritus

Using the 3rd stick on a Dual Channel Mobo hinders performance by putting you in Single Channel Mode. Removing the odd stick should improve performance.
Kingston RAM is no stranger to problems. Try removing the odd stick and see if the problem persists. If so, run MemTest on one stick at a time and let it make at least 7 passes per stick to determine if the RAM is faulty: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Closed Thread