Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Lenove Shorted Out by Reverse Polarity?

This is a discussion on Lenove Shorted Out by Reverse Polarity? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. HI: My daughter unplugged her 4 yr old Lenovo Flex 3 14-80R laptop at collegeol and the grounding prong stuck


Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill_Bright
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 56
OS: xp



HI:
My daughter unplugged her 4 yr old Lenovo Flex 3 14-80R laptop at collegeol and the grounding prong stuck in the outlet and it broke off. She kept using after that and since the plug does not have one prong bigger than the other, you can plug it in backward or upside down or whatever you want to call it since there is no polarity anymore and I think it fried it or something.

Once the battery died which was on it's last leg anyway the computer would not power up so I bought a new power supply, that didn't work either. On a couple websites it says to hold in the power button for 10 seconds then it may boot, tried that a couple different ways with no luck.

It's just plain DEAD.

The guy at the Geek Squad said the reversed power cord could have caused a short. I guess on the motherboard but I didn't want to spend $200 to find out if it would probably cost more than that to fix it.

I'm pretty handy, I was wondering if there was something I could solder or a diode or something I could replace. Good news is the data is backed up so we are good there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Paul
pauliejr2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Visiting Tech
 
Bill_Bright's Avatar

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,468
OS: Win10 64-bit Professional

My System


Quote:
The guy at the Geek Squad said the reversed power cord could have caused a short.
:( No. He doesn't know what he's talking about. The wall outlet uses AC. Reversing the polarity means nothing unless there is already a grounding problem with the notebook. And that is not likely.

Quote:
Once the battery died which was on it's last leg anyway the computer would not power up so I bought a new power supply, that didn't work either.
Was that with the old battery? Was the replacement power supply an exact replacement. Did you/she try it without the battery installed?
__________________
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Bill_Bright is offline  
Old 10-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 56
OS: xp



I only have the original battery in it. The power supply I bought was not OEM but had the same input and output amperages so I figured it was OK.
I have to take the back off the laptop to take out the battery, will do that over the weekend and try powering back up and see what we get.
Thanks Bill
pauliejr2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #4
Visiting Tech
 
Bill_Bright's Avatar

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,468
OS: Win10 64-bit Professional

My System


Quote:
The power supply I bought was not OEM but had the same input and output amperages so I figured it was OK.
NO! It's not the amperage that's important, but the voltage! I hope that is what you meant.

The voltage MUST be the same as the old charger. And the polarity (+ and -) of the connector must be the same too.

The amperage "should" be the same or more. Going with a charger with more amperage is fine. The battery will just pull what it needs, not what the charger can supply. This way there will be more than enough to charge the battery and run the notebook at the same time. Actually the advantage with going larger is the charger, not being taxed, will be loafing along and run cool. A good thing.

While not recommended, you can go less and still use the charger to charge the battery. It will just take longer to fully charge. But going with less amperage (current) means it is likely you will not be able to charge the battery and use the notebook at the same time. Doing so may demand more current than the charger can deliver. If lucky, it would only cause the notebook to shutdown and not run. If unlucky, it could cause the charger to overheat - perhaps catastrophically! Not good. So not recommended.

So you need to verify the replacement charger outputs the exact same voltage as the OEM. If not, don't use it. And check that the current (amperage) is equal or greater.
SpareChange likes this.
__________________
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Bill_Bright is offline  
Old 10-22-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 56
OS: xp



Finally got around to taking out the original laptop battery, that was easy. Put the cover back on with NO battery inside. Plugged in the old AC adapter, nothing, no power, plugged in the aftermarket Amazon AC Adapter that is the exact same volts and amps, nothing, no power. DEAD as the proverbial door nail.

Is it Toast? Suggestions? I'm not ready to give up, too costly to replace.

Is it time to put it on Ebay as a parts unit?
pauliejr2 is offline  
Old 10-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #6
Visiting Tech
 
Bill_Bright's Avatar

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,468
OS: Win10 64-bit Professional

My System


Quote:
Is it Toast? Suggestions?
Maybe not. It may be a simple fusible link inside the notebook that "blew" in order to protect the rest of the notebook. This is something a qualified technician should be able to easily determine, and if that is all that is wrong, easily (and affordably) repair.

Not all notebook boards have a fusible link.
Some fusible links are simple fuses that pop out and can be easily replaced.
Others are hardwired (soldered) in.

If you feel handy and comfortable opening up the notebook, you can inspect the area near the power connector and perhaps spot and replace the fuse yourself. But sadly, not all are readily identifiable. So again, taking it to a qualified tech may be your best bet.

I would call around to local shops, explain what happened, and see if they will give you an upfront estimate - explaining you have no desire to sink a lot of money into it.

That said, because troubleshooting electronics is often the most challenging and time consuming part of electronics repair (replacing the part is easy - finding which part to replace is the hard part), not all shops give up-front or free estimates. And some charge for the estimate but apply that fee towards the repair cost (if you let them repair it).

And having said all that, much more severe damage could have occurred here too. There's really no way to tell without having a tech take a look. Should you decide to get rid of the notebook, be sure to pull the drive and attach it to another computer then "wipe" it clean of all data before handing it off to a stranger.
__________________
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Bill_Bright is offline  
Old 11-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 56
OS: xp



Bill I really appreciate your advice.

I did take it to a local shop that does free estimates. They said the battery is good, the power supply is good, the port it plugs into is good, that the problem is somewhere in the Mother board.

Guess I will take the hard drive out and put it on Ebay as a parts machine.

You were a big help and cudos to the Forum.

Thanks, PAUL
pauliejr2 is offline  
Old 11-04-2019, 07:09 AM   #8
Visiting Tech
 
Bill_Bright's Avatar

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,468
OS: Win10 64-bit Professional

My System


Thanks for the kind words - sorry the problem was not a simple fix.

Thanks too, for coming back and posting your status update.
__________________
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Bill_Bright is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is on
Smilies are on
[IMG] code is on
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Post a Question


» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
  > 10.0.0.2
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2001 - 2018, Tech Support Forum

Windows 10 - Windows 7 - Windows XP - Windows Vista - Trojan Removal - Spyware Removal - Virus Removal - Networking - Security - Top Web Hosts