Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

large power supply

This is a discussion on large power supply within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have posted a few threads displaying that my computer although fairly new reboots itself every now and then. after

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

i have posted a few threads displaying that my computer although fairly new reboots itself every now and then. after observing when it reboots it seems its not random. It never reboots if im playing a game and if im just browsing the net there just seem to be little things to set it off. (eg) i wanted to play a game but needed to update games for windows live but at a certain point in the installation it reboots. i tried 3 times and it reboots at the exact same spot. it also used to be worse where it would reboot if i didnt use my comp for a while and sometimes it would always reboot a few times before stopping. I really have no idea what the problem is some ppl said to check ram and stuff and i have and it seems fine and i dont think its a virus because i really havent downloaded anything bad or done anything. if someone has some idea of whats going on plz tell me.

comp specs
# Intel Core i7-870 Quad core (2.93GHz)
# 7.1 CH HD Audio on Board
# Asus P7P55-ELX Motherboard
# Gigabit LAN On Board
# Nvidia GTX470 1.2GB
# G-Skill DDR3 8GB 1600 RAM
# Western Digital Black caviar 1TB HDD
# GW 900W PSU
# Aerocool BX-500 Tower
# LG Blu-Ray DVD Burner
#Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Did you follow the instructions given by Tumbleweed36 ?

https://www.techsupportforum.com/f217...ng-518284.html

`
Old 11-22-2010, 03:42 AM   #3
Registered Member

yes i did check them and there all good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 03:46 AM   #4
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi -

Run Driver Verifier - https://www.techsupportforum.com/f217...ed-473665.html

Please provide system info - https://www.techsupportforum.com/f217...ns-452654.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 11-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

do u think it might be a power supply problem it does require an extremely high power supply something like 900 wats and also i dont think my power board is a particularly reliable one.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Excellent PSU info - https://www.techsupportforum.com/f210...on-192217.html

`
Old 11-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Registered Member

I have posted a few threads displaying that my computer although fairly new reboots itself every now and then. After observing when it reboots it seems its not random. It never reboots if im playing a game and if im just browsing the net there just seem to be little things to set it off. (eg) i wanted to play a game but needed to update games for windows live but at a certain point in the installation it reboots. I have tried 3 times and it reboots at the exact same spot. It also used to be worse where it would reboot if i didnt use my comp for a while and sometimes it would always reboot a few times before stopping. I really have no idea what the problem is some people said to check ram and stuff and I have and it seems fine and I dont think its a virus because I really havent downloaded anything bad or done anything. If someone has some idea of whats going on please tell me. I have ran a memory test which tested my ram individually and they all appear good. I also have tested temps and volts and they are all good. I'm so confused as to what the problem is. can someone help please. Also i have checked the harddrive in different computers and it doesn't reboot so its not the hardrive or software so whats left something to do with power or the motherboard??.

comp specs
# Gigabit LAN On Board
# Nvidia GTX470 1.2GB
# GW 900W PSU
# Aerocool BX-500 Tower
# LG Blu-Ray DVD Burner
Old 11-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
Registered Member

i was wondering since my computer is having some unexpected crashing problem could this be related to power supply.
comp specs
# Gigabit LAN On Board
# Nvidia GTX470 1.2GB
# GW 900W PSU
# Aerocool BX-500 Tower
# LG Blu-Ray DVD Burner

do i need some special connection to my power supply because its 900W or should it just work fine normally.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Emeritus

Please elaborate on "crashing". My first suggestion would be to remove 2 of the RAM sticks and see how it goes.
Filling all the RAM slots can cause problems and 4GB is more than enough for any game and most all apps.
I've never heard of Great Wall PSU's. It "claims" to have 80+ % Efficiency and has a pretty hefty price tag.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
Administrator
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

4 threads merged. 3 others found 30-45 days old -

rebooting

Tf2 crashing net

Rebooting

Please reply to this thread; no need to create new ones each time.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 11-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
Registered Member

ive tested ram all good hardrive all good everything all good only can be motherboard which i dont think or power do u think plugging it in directly to power supply will stop it from randomly rebooting
Old 11-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
Registered Member

ok so here is what ive done so far. I have run mem test to test each ram stick and they are all fine. i have taken out my hardrive and tested it on several different computers and tried to do things that always trigger a reboot and there was no problem at all. I have tried plugging my computer directly into a power point in my house still has no fixed the problem. So if its not the hardrive/software related if its not the ram what else is left the motherboard and something else with the power. Since its a 900 W power supply do i need some special attachment or something so my computer gets enough power or is this simply unnecessary and it has to be my motherboard.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #13
Registered Member

i just did something that stopped the reboots momentarily. I went into system options and unchecked something saying "automatically restart" and after doing so could install my games without it rebooting but the afterwards it rebooted again. I was so excited and thought it had fixed itself. The only other thing i did was clean my computer a little bit from dust. Do u think it was that which stopped it or unchecking that other thing. Btw i didn't get a blue screen when it crashed even though i unchecked it i thought i was supposed to get a blue screen.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I would think that the dust would only cause crashing / rebooting if your temps were getting unreasonably high. I'm not sure what it is that you unchecked, so I can't really elaborate on any of that. The only thing I can think of would be that your PC sometimes needs to reboot after Windows updates, but most of the time I get a prompt allowing me to choose whether I want to do it right away or postpone it. Perhaps you had it set to automatically reboot so your PC rebooted after updates completed, and unchecking this disabled the auto-reboot, but required a reboot (ironic huh?) for this change to take place.

Either way, hopefully your problems have been solved. Let us know.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #15
Registered Member

yeah my updates are set to allowing me to choose to install and reboot so its not that. There's good news and bad news. Bad news is i still haven't fixed the rebooting problem. Good news is it doesn't seem to reboot on the important stuff like installing games and such anymore it only reboots when im doing un important stuff so if it stays that way and only reboots when im not doing anything important i really dont mind
Old 12-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #16
Registered Member

still getting problems its only rebooting when installing direct x updates before playing a game or phys x engine or something similar before running a game for the first time
Old 12-28-2010, 05:38 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

try dialing back the ram to 1333 and perhaps tweaking the voltage a tad.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #18
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryBigCheese View Post
i just did something that stopped the reboots momentarily. I went into system options and unchecked something saying "automatically restart" and after doing so could install my games without it rebooting but the afterwards it rebooted again. I was so excited and thought it had fixed itself. The only other thing i did was clean my computer a little bit from dust. Do u think it was that which stopped it or unchecking that other thing. Btw i didn't get a blue screen when it crashed even though i unchecked it i thought i was supposed to get a blue screen.
The auto reboot only occurs when you have a BSOD, if it is not BSOD'ing than that setting is meaning less.

I'm not familiar with a GW900 w psu who makes it?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #19
Registered Member

i followed advice from another forum in which he only slightly increased the voltage on the motherboard by 1 increment due to reasons of windows 7 more demanding on something or rather anyway point is i changed the voltage to the minimum rather than having it on auto in the bios screen and everything is working perfectly now. I had a feeling it had something to do with power and the motherboard and well this has fixed my problem.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #20
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Keep a close eye on the motherboard(System) temps, increasing the chip set voltages can ramp up temps dramatically.
Closed Thread