Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Laptop won't charge while playing games. Tried several fixes please help.

This is a discussion on Laptop won't charge while playing games. Tried several fixes please help. within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have had this issue for about a week now and I have not been able to fix it.

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I have had this issue for about a week now and I have not been able to fix it. Here are my computer specs:

Windows 10 Acer Aspire V3 771G-9809 ASIN: B009JXJWZI Intel Core i7-3632QM 2.2GHz (6MB Cache) 8 GB SDRAM 1 TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive 17.3-Inch Screen, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

The problem is that when I play Dota 2, my computer starts beeping to indicate the power being plugged in and unplugged over and over again. Eventually it loses battery and just dies while im playing. I first assumed it was a battery or AC issue so I bought replacements for both with no effect on the issue.

I then read that it may be an overheating issue so I took my laptop apart and airdusted everything inside. That also did nothing for the problem. I downloaded MSI Afterburner and tested out the temperature while playing dota. Turns out my temperature was very decent hovering around 50-60 C. So perhaps it is not an overheating issue? I also tried tweaking the advanced battery settings to adjust max power to 75% while plugged in and left it 100% while unplugged since this laptop is plugged in 99% of the time anyway.

I don't know what to do at this point. It was only acts up with demanding games, but now it starts beeping at me even with no programs running other than a browser and steam. I can play Age of empires 2 also which is an older game with outdated graphics, yet it still beeps when I play it. Just doesn't end up actually dying.

I checked eventviewer under systems and im getting Event ID: 12 sourced from UserModePowerService and ID: 105 sourced from Kernel-Power

Can anyone help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Is the beeping in a pattern? As in two short beeps and two long beeps?

Are all of the drivers and BIOS updated?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

My System

Only while playing that game? That is really odd.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

I checked the charger and the wattage was lower than the original. I managed to find a higher wattage one and am waiting for it to arrive. Also I updated all my drivers and that helped but didn't fix the problem. I was able to keep charged longer. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2018, 06:45 AM   #5
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I checked the charger and the wattage was lower than the original.
Hmmm, when you said you bought replacements for both the battery and power supply, I assumed the supply had at least the same wattage capability. Once again, assuming causes problems.

You can always go with a greater wattage power supply, but never lower. If the device was being used just as a charger, it would not be a problem. It would just take longer to fully charge the battery.

But since the device is being used as both a charger for the battery and power supply for the computer, the device must be able to support the combined maximum loads.

This "assumes" the correct voltage, connector, and connector wiring polarity which must be the same as the original.

You can use a greater capability (more current/wattage) device because the battery and computer will only demand what they need, not what the supply can deliver. In some cases, it may result in faster charging times - but that really depends on the charging circuits of the notebook as there may be restrictions to avoid heat issues (always a concern in notebooks).

Let us know what happens when the new charger/power supply arrives. I recommend ensuring the battery has a full charge before putting it through its paces.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread