Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Laptop Not Powering On

This is a discussion on Laptop Not Powering On within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey all, been a long time since I've posted here. I have a laptop that a friend says stopped charging

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey all, been a long time since I've posted here. I have a laptop that a friend says stopped charging after one of their pets chewed the power cord and even after getting a replacement, the laptop still would not charge. The replacement adapter's status light is green and strong so I believe it isn't a problem with that, though as soon as I can get a voltage meter I'm going to test it to make sure. I opened up the laptop to make sure the DC jack didn't somehow get unplugged from the motherboard, but it appears to be fine as well. Until I can get that voltage meter and test it, it looks like I won't be able to diagnose full what the cause of it not turning on at all is. I tried reseating the RAM as well but that had no effect either. So I'm just wondering if there is anything else I can try before I end up having to set it aside until I get that meter? Any help at all is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi, did you try the info in this sticky https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ng-498132.html

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

The only thing from that list I haven't done has been reseating the CPU. But I don't have that thermal paste, is it absolutely required when reseating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Yes, it is.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

Okay, I'll just wait for the meter then. Hopefully it's something simple that I can order and get put in easily.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
Registered Member

Okay so I talked to the customer and found out some useful information. Apparently while the battery still had charge, the laptop worked just fine. It was only when the battery died and was unable to be charged further that the laptop stopped. So this tells me that the motherboard is fine and the adapter does seem to be working just fine as well. So I'm just left with the DC Jack. So after narrowing that down (wish the customer had told me this earlier lol), I ordered the replacement jack and it should be here at the end of the week. So woohoo! Thanks for the help!
Old 04-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
Troubled

Look for a person from the manufacturer's team such like their tech support.
Closed Thread