Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Kernel Power 41 63

This is a discussion on Kernel Power 41 63 within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've had this error for months, been looking for feedback about this error. I updated Sound Drivers, Unchecked Automatic Restart,

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've had this error for months, been looking for feedback about this error.

I updated Sound Drivers, Unchecked Automatic Restart, etc.

These error are non BSOD, they're random restarts, It's driving me nuts, help me please!:l

Edit: I have tried both RAM cards by taking out one and vice versa and Cpu Temperature, Im suspecting those errors have to do with my PSU which is a 500w one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I've had this error for months, been looking for feedback about this error.
Where you been looking? I found lots of information on this error.

The error typically occurs after recovering from an improper shutdown.

You said "CPU temperature", but didn't say what it was. It could be heat related. Is the system clean of heat trapping dust? All fans run smoothly?

It could certainly be unstable power too and as an electronics technician, I always want to ensure first when troubleshooting that I have good, clean, stable power. So I would swap in a known good PSU. If you don't have one, or can't borrow one from a trusted friend or family member, you should have it professionally tested at a reputable shop.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post
Where you been looking? I found lots of information on this error.

The error typically occurs after recovering from an improper shutdown.

You said "CPU temperature", but didn't say what it was. It could be heat related. Is the system clean of heat trapping dust? All fans run smoothly?

It could certainly be unstable power too and as an electronics technician, I always want to ensure first when troubleshooting that I have good, clean, stable power. So I would swap in a known good PSU. If you don't have one, or can't borrow one from a trusted friend or family member, you should have it professionally tested at a reputable shop.
Everything has been cleaned PSU,CPU fan, Rear Fan, and Graphic card too.

Yes all fans run smoothly.

I currently dont know what PSU brand I have got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I currently dont know what PSU brand I have got.
Typically, regardless if top or bottom mounted, the PSU's label should be exposed with the computer's side panel removed - though some cases for the PSU to be mounted upside down, putting the label out of sight.

If no label, that would surely suggest a generic PSU of lessor quality. That said, even top quality PSU makers occasionally products bad samples. And since good clean stable power is essential for stable operation. Below is my canned text for testing PSU.

Alternatively, there are other options that are almost as good. I keep one of these PSU Testers in my tool bag in my truck. The advantage of this model is that it has an LCD readout of the voltage. With an actual voltage readout, you have a better chance of detecting a "failing" PSU, or one barely within the required tolerances as specified in the ATX Form Factor PSU Design Guide (see “Table 2. DC Output Voltage Regulation” below from Page 13). Lesser models use LEDs to indicate the voltage is just within some "range". These are less informative, considerably cheaper, but still useful for detecting PSUs that have already "failed". Newegg has several testers to choose from. However, none of these testers test for ripple and they only provide a little "dummy load", not a variety of "realistic" loads. So while not a certain test, these testers are better than nothing. They are also great when using a spare PSU for testing fans and drive motors as they signal the PSU to turn on when plugged in.

Note the required voltage tolerance ranges:

Swapping in a known good supply is a tried and true method of troubleshooting used for years, even by pros. If you have access to a suitably sized, spare power supply, carefully remove the suspect supply and replace it with the known good one, and see if the problem goes away.

I do not recommend using a multimeter to test power supplies. To do it properly, that is, under a realistic load, the voltages on all the pins must be measured while the PSU is attached to the motherboard and the computer powered on. This requires poking (with some considerable force) two hard and sharp, highly conductive meter probes into the main power connector, deep in the heart of the computer. One tiny slip can destroy the motherboard, and everything plugged into it. It is not worth the risk considering most multimeters, like plug-in testers, do not measure, or reveal any unwanted and potentially disruptive AC components to the DC voltages.

Note the ATX Form Factor standard does not "require" specific color coding for power supply connector wiring. It has recommendations but manufacturers often do not follow them. Sadly, many testing guides or tutorials will refer to wire color only and that can lead to improper testing.

The voltages can be checked in the BIOS Setup Menus of most motherboards but they do not reveal ripple or other anomalies either. And of course, booting into the BIOS Setup Menu requires a working PSU.

As always, before working in the interior of the computer case, take necessary ESD precautions to ensure static buildup in your body does not discharge through and destroy any sensitive devices. Unplug from the wall and touch bare metal of the case before reaching in. And remember, anything that plugs into the wall can kill. Do not open the power supply's case unless you are a qualified electronics technician. There are NO user-serviceable parts inside a power supply. If you do not have a tester or a suitable spare to swap in, take the PSU to a qualified technician for testing.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

Which PSU brands are the best ones in the market?

I can't get one atm(I will soon) , also I have an Automatic Voltage regulator may that affect into the Power supply?
Old 11-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
Visiting Tech

My System

There's no need to quote entire posts. That just makes the thread unnecessarily long - especially when your reply directly follows the one your are quoting.
Quote:
Which PSU brands are the best ones in the market?
There are several but my preferred brands are Antec, Seasonic, and Corsair.

But regardless the brand, make sure it is 80 PLUS certified to ensure at least an 82% "flat" efficiency rating across "all" realistic loads. While I have my preferred brands, understand achieving a high, flat efficiency requires quality design, quality parts, and quality construction - regardless the brand name stamped on the case, or the components inside.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
Registered Member

Got it, I want to make sure that it may be any software/driver causing the random reboot, is there any good software for that?
Old 11-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I want to make sure that it may be any software/driver causing the random reboot, is there any good software for that?
I wish, but I don't know of any.

You just have to look for errors in Device Manager, make sure your OS and software is current, and your system is free of malware. If you suspect a program, about all you can do is uninstall it and see what happens.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hello sorry for not posting again, voltages readings in Bios are ok according to the image you post, my Psu is an Acteck 500w 24 pin sata
Old 12-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

bumps
Old 12-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #11
Visiting Tech

My System

As I noted above, voltages as seen in the BIOS are not conclusive indicators the PSU is good. For one, they say nothing about ripple (unwanted and disruptive AC components riding the DC voltages) and for another, running the BIOS Setup Menu is about the least demanding task we can ask of our computers and PSU. So it is not putting a demand on the PSU.

This solution worked: https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ml#post2458810
Closed Thread