Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

keeping my antivirus program

This is a discussion on keeping my antivirus program within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I'm new here. I want to do a restore point on my laptop that will make it go back

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Grin

Hello, I'm new here.

I want to do a restore point on my laptop that will make it go back to the condition from when I first bought it. My question is, will the restore point erase my antivirus program that I installed 2 months after buying my laptop? Help please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Emeritus

Everything put on the PC after you bought it will be gone.
After the restore, install MS Security Essentials. It's free and it works.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

you normally cannot do a restore point to go back to day one if you had the computer for a while. Because of drive space limitations and restore point settings, older restore points usually drop as the assign area fills with newer restore points. How long have you had the computer?

You may need to do a complete restore using your hidden partition and it will get rid off anything you installed
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

I've had my computer since March, 2012. I've heard I can re-install the antivirus program that I had after being deleted by the restore point by just going to the antivirus program's website. Is this any true? I have Norton Antivirus and I installed it online.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Gone | Not Forgotten

If you paid for it, contact Norton. I am sure they get this request all the time.

BG
Old 07-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Before you factory reset your computer, you had better read these instructions regarding uninstalling Norton (same thing if you're going to reset) and it looks like you may have to copy it to a flash or something https://www-secure.symantec.com/nort...=english&ct=us

Is there any particular reason why you need to do a factory reset ?
Old 07-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Registered Member

I want to do a the factory reset because I have low disk space now and I want to clear off some space.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Then just uninstall the programs then do a defrag, a lot less bovver

It takes me a full day to do a reset on my lightly loaded laptop and I'd only do it if some aspect of Windows was buggy and a sfc /scannow or chkdsk /r didn't come up with anything.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Emeritus

If you do a "factory reset" everything installed since the day of purchase will be gone.
Norton is a system hog and you would be better off without it but if you want to reuse it just contact Norton (Symantec).
There are other ways to regain Hdd space. A good way is to gain space on an OEM unit is to uninstall any factory installed apps/software that are no longer valid as well as any software/apps you have installed but do not need/use.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
Enthusiast

My System

You do not do a factory restore to clear out space it does not work like that.

If you want to free up space you delete the stuff you dont use, clean out temporary files and defrag the drive.

If you do a factory restore everything that you have saved on the pc will be gone.
Closed Thread