Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

iwhat happens to the computer if the cpu overheats?

This is a discussion on iwhat happens to the computer if the cpu overheats? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Will it freeze the computer and turn off all the lights in the case but keep runing all the fans?

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Will it freeze the computer and turn off all the lights in the case but keep runing all the fans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

If the computer hits a overheat warning temp it will shutdown the whole computer. Fans, HDD, CPU, everything.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

It will shut down as if someone killed the power.

Does what you described happen to you, and if so do you need help with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

An overheated CPU may do any or all of the above, but not always. You should see several other symptoms long before a full shutdown occurs. If the proc has overheated to the point of shutdown, it has most likely already suffered some permanent damage.

The first thing which will happen is the cpu fan will run at very high rpm, and, if enabled, the over-temp warning alarm will sound. The cpu will then begin to throttle itself back until it cools below its threshold. If the temp continues to rise it will (depending on BIOS) either go into suspend mode (much like hibernate) or shut down the system entirely.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

Because whats happening to me is that it freezes the pc and turns off the led light in the front part of the case but all fans keep on going to reboot the pc i have to turn it off by hitting the switch on the power supply
Old 06-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Moved thread to Hardware Support. Guessing a power supply issue.

Please post the make and model of your system components including motherboard, memory, processor, power supply and graphics. If yours is an OEM build (such as Dell or Acer), post the make/model of the computer and that of any non-stock upgrades or modifications.

On a cold boot, if possible, access system BIOS. Look for a Hardware Monitor or System Health section and find the +3.3 volt, +5 volt and +12 volt and the CPU and system temperatures. Wait for them to stabilize (may take a few minutes) and post them here.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcavan
Moved thread to Hardware Support. Guessing a power supply issue.

Please post the make and model of your system components including motherboard, memory, processor, power supply and graphics. If yours is an OEM build (such as Dell or Acer), post the make/model of the computer and that of any non-stock upgrades or modifications.

On a cold boot, if possible, access system BIOS. Look for a Hardware Monitor or System Health section and find the +3.3 volt, +5 volt and +12 volt and the CPU and system temperatures. Wait for them to stabilize (may take a few minutes) and post them here.
Cold boot stats:
Temperature:
Cpu : 54C - 129F

M/b : 40C - 104F

Vcore; 1.320V

+3.30V : 3.360V

+5.00V : 5.160V

+12.00V : 12.196V

My system:

Windows 7

Amd Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.00GHz

4gb ram

Nvidia gtx 260 superclocked edition

Cooler Master Gx 650W

WD HDD 500gb

AsRock mobo

What Ive checked so far is: memtest on both memory stick overnight tests found no error, disk check as well no errors found. Gpu temps go from 54C when idle and to 74C-77C underload. Cpu temp go from 54C to 63C last time i checked before the pc froze. Computer freezes mostly when in game it might take a second to as much as an hour or 2 to freeze. (It freezes at random moments)

As i said before the screen stays on with the image of the last thing i was doing but the led lights on the case go off, nothing else software related works(no sound if listening to music, no response fron the pc) the fans keep running and the only way to turn it off is by switching it off on the power supply (note: if i switch it off and on again without waiting couple of seconds the computer turns in automaticly but it wont boot nor show any video i have to switch it back off wait couple of secs and switch it on)

Any ideas on what might be causing this?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerdus
It will shut down as if someone killed the power.

Does what you described happen to you, and if so do you need help with it?
Yes its happening to me and i need help with it dont know whats actually causing it i posted more info in the thread read it and give me your opinions

Thank you very much
Old 06-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Emeritus

The low quality PSU would be a prime suspect. You need to be at 650W minimum with a good quality PSU for the GTX 260 GPU.
SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the CX-GS-M Series).

Old 06-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree
The low quality PSU would be a prime suspect. You need to be at 650W minimum with a good quality PSU for the GTX 260 GPU.
SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the CX-GS-M Series).
Does that also includes the Evga gtx260 superclocked edition?
Old 06-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

The power supply may well be the problem but the most pressing issue I see is your CPU temp. 54°C in BIOS is already near the maximum operating temp for the 940 proc.

Check your cpu fan/heatsink is free of dust and debris; blow out with compressed air if necessary. Also, confirm it is installed correctly; it should not rock or wiggle unless forced.

You might also wish to reinstall the heatsink with new thermal compound. Clean thoroughly the mating surfaces of the heatsink and processor and apply new compound per the manufacturers instructions then reinstall.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
Registered Member

Update: went to my friends house and with his computer tested most of my parts. Concluded that the Psu, Video car, Disk, and Memory are fine we tested by going in game with ultra graphics he got in situations that for my pc woulda crash already.

So the problem resides either on the cpu or the motherboard. Going to test those today and give you guys an update with the conclusion.

Thank you ver much
Old 06-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Unfortunately you may not have the answer on the Psu because if the system you tried it on was with hardware with less power demands, it might have performed ok.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M
Unfortunately you may not have the answer on the Psu because if the system you tried it on was with hardware with less power demands, it might have performed ok.
Well forgot to say on his computer we tested all my parts at the same time but the cpu and mobo. It might be not the same demand but close to it. And thats why i increased the graphics to ultra something i never did on my original rig and in reased the load on my graphics so it would demand a bit more like i said nothing happened.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Registered Member

Final update: i borrow a friends Psu 500w thats 150w less than mines and the pc never froze it indeed was a faulty psu. Now thinking on a replacement.

May you guys recomend me good brands so i can check them out?

Thank you very much for your time great forums.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Seasonic power supplys are the best
Old 06-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...on-192217.html

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #18
Emeritus

SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the CX-GS-M Series) are top quality.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #19
Enthusiast

My System

you shoiuld also re apply the thermal paste 54 degrees c at boot is too hot. Thats near the max oparting temp of the cpu as said earlier.
Closed Thread