Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Ive tried it all with new RAM 1gb

This is a discussion on Ive tried it all with new RAM 1gb within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, sweet site. So I have an old Dimension 2400, here's the current stats: 512mb RAM (Kingston) Pentium 4

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys, sweet site.

So I have an old Dimension 2400, here's the current stats:

512mb RAM (Kingston)
Pentium 4 2.8ghz
nVidia GEForce FX5500 256mb

There are two ram slots - only one of which is taken by a 512mb. A while back a friend gave me another 512mb stick (Spektec) that I popped in only to get a blank screen. After getting online and reading about how it usually has to be two matching sticks to really work right, and a few failed attempts, I gave up and just figured I'd call it a loss, it was free anyway. (Oh yea by the way this is DDR2, dont know if that matters.

Months later, (yesterday), I decided to go buy a 1gb stick from this computer shop I work next door to. So I went in and got 1gb (Samsung) for $30. So I come home and without thinking about how they have to match, pop it in and boot up and it says at startup "The memory in your computer has changed. F1 to continue" ... no surprise, I've seen this message before. So I boot up and start messing around, everything going great and much faster then before. (Keep in mind Im at 1.5gb now between two slots). So I start up a game, and voila the game runs so much better. Then BOOM - bluescreen, followed by almost immediate shut down. (5 or so seconds after bluescreen).

So after reading around once more, and a boat load of failed trial and error, I figured I'd break down and ask someone else out there if they've had similar problems, here's where it stands at this point:

THINGS I'VE TRIED
-----------------------
1x 512mb in slot A / 1x 512mb in slot B
1x 1gb in slot A / 1x 512mb in slot B
1x 512 in slot A / 1x gb in slot B
1x 1gb in slot A
1x 1gb in slot B

RESULTS I'VE HAD
-----------------------
Bluescreen about "check hardware installed"
Bluescreen about "dumping physical memory"
Bluescreen about "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGES_AREA"
Frozen bootup
Blank Screen - no bootup
Frozen desktop

----------------------------------

So at this point Im back to where I was before I was given a free RAM and also decided to go out and buy a seperate one myself.... Let me know if you guys can help in any way. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

The 2400 takes ddr ram not ddr2 but that does not matter to much as the ram is not interchangeable and would not fit in the slot.

You don't have to worry about matched sticks because this is not a dual channel board the ram only runs in single channel.

Sometimes though even running 2 different manufacters of ram can cause a blue screen but not a shutdown. The 2400 is not picky about ram though as I have mixed speed and manufactuers with no problem

The board only supports up to 512 mb of ram per slot so I am suprised it even booted at all and I think thats the main problem, see here under memory capacities

https://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm
Old 11-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

so thats the problem - and my only real solution is to trade in the 1gb for two seperate 512s.... right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
Registered Member

Also - on that link it states:

Memory
Architecture
DDR SDRAM
Memory connectors
two
Memory capacities
128-, 256-, or 512-MB
Minimum memory
128 MB shared DDR SDRAM
NOTE: Between 32 and 64 MB of system memory may be allocated to support graphics, depending on system memory size and other factors.
Maximum memory
2 GB
Memory type
PC2100 (266-MHz) or PC2700 (333-MHz) DDR SDRAM (non-ECC)

... how is that possible if there's only two slots and they are both capped out at 512mb a peice
Old 11-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
Enthusiast

My System

just because a manufacturer makes a ram stick that will fit your system does not mean it will work. So you cant just go out and say right I will have that ram stick and put it in.

system and motherboard manufacturers publish what is called a qvl list on their websites this list says what CPUs will work and it will also say what manufacturers ram will work and the sizes and speeds.

You must have fours slots to use 2GB which would be 4x512MB but note it looks like your system has an onboard graphics card so the graphics card uses some of the ram that you have in the system.

so say you had 512MB of ram installed the graphics card may take 128MB of that and your system i.e windows will use the rest.

If you do have two slots for the ram then that is either a typo or there is a BIOS update available so the system can take a bigger size of ram stick.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

I might not have interpreted the system specs correctly the 128, 256, or 512MB is the standard memory the computer came with and 2 gig is the max memory the system will except with 1 gig per slot. I found this out by running the crucial memory configutar.

So we are back to square one, If you install the 1 gig stick alone will the system boot?

If so run memtest on it for several passes and report back. If no I suspect the stick is bad and should be returned, remember this stick at one time worked and if the system will not boot with it in now??

What speed is this 1 gig stick?
Old 11-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
Registered Member

No the system will no longer boot with the 1gb stick in it. It either freezes or gets almost to windows boot screen then shows blue screen. Im not sure of the speed of this 1gb stick - how can I find that out?
Old 11-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

It should have been labled or the package it came in should have the speed, I would say that stick is bad try and run memtest on it
Old 11-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
Registered Member

ok so here's an update.... I went ahead and swapped the 1gb stick for a 512mb stick to see how it would work with 2x 512mb in both slots. and the system will not boot... it's just a blank screen with monitor not even responding. Sometimes it even cuts off after a few seconds and cuts back on - really weird. The person at the shop said that it might need a BIOS reset - but with the stick in it I cant even get to BIOS... is there something I need to do in BIOS to get both channels to work? Also about the speed of the stick there is no actual "case" that these sticks are coming in... its some hole in the wall computer shop that Im beginning to regret going to... They just give me a stick of ram in a clear plastic case with no labels other then a sticker that says either 1gb DDR or 512mb DDR, etc.

Let me know something - I really appreciate all your help thus far.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
Enthusiast

My System

it should say on the ram stick something like 512MB ddr2 667MHz (the 667) is the speed.

As I said earlier just because a system takes ddr2 512MB sticks doesn't mean it will work with every ddr2 512MB stick.

To run dual channel mode all you do is put the matching ram sticks in the same coloured slots BTW the must be the same make and speed also.
Closed Thread