Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Issue with new DDR4 on MSI board

This is a discussion on Issue with new DDR4 on MSI board within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm building a new PC and I needed 24GB of RAM so I went with: MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS motherboard

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
des
Registered Member

I'm building a new PC and I needed 24GB of RAM so I went with:
MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS motherboard
Gskill F4-2666C15D-16GVR (2x8)
Gskill F4-2666C15D-8GVR (2x4)
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB SSD
i5-8600 CPU which intel's own page says has a native memory controller speed of DDR4-2666

So every time I turned it on before OS installation and hit F1 or whatever to do the initial config. I turned on XMP and reset the time and that's it. Then when I rebooted, it was delayed by about 8 seconds then says the previous overclock failed and the BIOS was reset. So I thought okay, that's odd, verified the settings and turned XMP on again. It did the same thing.

So then just to troubleshoot some unstable RAM, I left it at XMP off with 2133 MHz as the set speed and rebooted and same message on reboot. So I took out the 2x4GB kit and it worked just fine, even installed the OS with XMP turned on. Those kits are identical except for size.

According to the motherboard manual, I'm supposed to install a single kit in slot 2 and 4 so that's where I put the 8GB sticks. Then I put the 4GB ones in 1 and 3. The diagram says 1 and 2 are channel A and 3 and 4 are channel 2, implying that dual-channel kits should go in 2 and 4.

I know that AMD setups have the memory controller speed change based on how many sticks are there but this is Intel and it failed to boot property even at the default 2133. So what's going on? Do I have a bad kit? Is that somehow an invalid configuration? Do the smaller sticks have to be in 2 and 4 instead? Does DDR4 require them all to match? Or is it something I haven't thought of. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My main concern is if the motherboard has some severe problem, I'd want to RMA it immediately before I activate the Win10 license.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Try booting with the 2x4 kit only in slots 2 and 4. Does it POST?
Old 08-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
des
Registered Member

Yeah, that kit POSTs fine separately with XMP turned on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2018, 04:07 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Ideally you would install exact like pairs....either of those 16gb kits or 2 of those 8gb kits so there's no issue with mixed matched pairs, even if they are identical. Some mobo's just don't like that kind of setup period.

Check your mobo for a BIOS update and see what the update details are. You may need to update the BIOS.

Since the 8gb kit boots up normally in slots 2/4....I would leave them as they are and then add the 16gb to slots 1/3 and see how that works.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:22 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I suspect the ram is slightly incompatible. Usually slight incompatibilities will not show at lower levels but 24 gb and 4 sticks only pointed that out.
If I am building a unit and using above 8 gb ram I always read the motherboard mfgr's tested memory recommendations and only buy those because no ram for sale gives us enough info to determine real compatibility and I got tired of situations like you are having being a frequent builder and since I have been doing this I never have had an issue.
Curiously there is no tested recommended 2666 Gskill ram among the tested rams and an awful lot were tested to make for some easy choices. If I cannot find the ram I want tested on the board I change one or the other until I do. Otherwise it is just too tough!
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...#support-mem-5

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
The diagram says 1 and 2 are channel A and 3 and 4 are channel 2, implying that dual-channel kits should go in 2 and 4.
That's not what that implies (or says).

Dual channel on your specific boards works with the red slots 2 and 4 (A2 and B2) with the first pair of RAM and slots 1 and 3 (A1 and B1) for the 2nd pair of RAM.

IMO, you should leave the XMP switch alone (in the default setting) while installing the RAM.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread