Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

is this too good to be true?

This is a discussion on is this too good to be true? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i offered someone 100 $ for 2 gigs (2 sticks of 1 gig) of 2700 ddr ram(1 month used), he

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:56 PM   #1

i offered someone 100 $ for 2 gigs (2 sticks of 1 gig) of 2700 ddr ram(1 month used), he said "sure" pretty quickly.

is this to good of a price? mabye there is something wrong with it.

i know it works somewhat if its in the bios, but is there anyway to make sure it it 100% functional quickly, because he said he would install it, and after he leaves i would only know his email if something went wrong.

thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 12:21 AM   #2
I helped the forums.

My System

What is the brand and model number of the ram? The price is pretty low, why does he want to sell?

There's no quick way to find out if it's good. You would need to run Memtest86 on each stick seperately, and that takes 8 to 10 hrs per stick to be sure there are no errors.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

If you can afford an extra $45 and are not overclocking, this is a decent cheap ram. Some here may disagree but I've used PNY ram in many budget builds and have never had a stick fail. The second link is to Patriot ram for $148. Never used it, but I've heard good things about the company and lots of good user reviews on Newegg.
If you buy it new and it's bad you can always RMA it under the lifetime warranty. Personally, I think that kind of piece of mind would be worth the extra cash.
Just one mans opinion.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820178101
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220079
Old 04-05-2007, 01:54 AM   #3

if i do get it, how would i know if it is malfunctioning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 02:53 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to MaverickUK

Memtest will report it to you.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:44 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As Maverick says https://www.memtest.org/ will confirm the strength of the ram.
DDR is becoming out of vogue, so up-graders are selling their parts.
The other end of the equation is, it will become more expensive soon, as time goes on.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

The only relevant questions here are:

> Do I need this ram for my rig

> Does he guarantee that it will pass with strenuous testing

> Is this ram compatible with my machine

The deal is a very good one if you need that type ram, so pose these questions to him and start testing if he agrees to the guarantee condition.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

if they are a matched pair of ram modules then its a good deal

if the model numbers and manufacturers aren't an exact match for both sticks then its not so great a deal
Closed Thread