Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Is this safe for rx 560 4gb OC?

This is a discussion on Is this safe for rx 560 4gb OC? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Anhoch PC Market Online - PSU 800W Matrix 20+4pin, 2xSATA, 6P+2P, 12cm Fan, CE Can this psu handle my gpu???

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

Anhoch PC Market Online - PSU 800W Matrix 20+4pin, 2xSATA, 6P+2P, 12cm Fan, CE
Can this psu handle my gpu???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

I'd stick with a known-name brand PSU like Seasonic, XFX, and Antec.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I agree. You don't buy a new Porsche or BMW then fill it up at the corner Tobacco and Bait shop and expect you are feeding the engine good quality "clean" fuel.

So stick with well known reputable brands.

At the very least, get a power supply that is 80 PLUS certified. 80 PLUS certified PSUs are required to have fairly linear efficiencies. This is important because a computer's power demands range from very little when idle to near maximum when taxed (such as during heavy gaming). 80 PLUS certifications require PSUs run at or near peak efficiency of at least 80% regardless the load or power demands.

Non-linear PSUs typically have a narrow "peak" efficiency when the load is somewhere between 50 and 90% of the PSU’s maximum capacity. And that peak is typically around 70% efficient, or less.

That means at best, for every 100W the power supply pulls from the wall, 30W will be wasted in the form of heat!

And then the efficiency typically drops dramatically above and below that peak for even more wasted energy and more heat. The efficiency "curve" is a steep "bell curve" while a quality 80 PLUS certified supply's curve will be relatively “flat” (linear) across the entire expected range of loads.

I generally recommend power supplies that have earned 80 PLUS "Gold" certification or better. While these highly efficient supplies cost more up front, you will easily recoup your investment (and more) in lower energy costs over the lifespan of the power supply. And you will be feeding your computer better quality power too which results in less strain on the regulation circuits of the connected components.

At least go for "Bronze" certification.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread