Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Is this a power supply issue?

This is a discussion on Is this a power supply issue? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys I've been having issues with my PC for a few weeks now. One day my computer randomly shut

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Hey guys I've been having issues with my PC for a few weeks now. One day my computer randomly shut down in the middle of a game so I immediately assumed it was an overheating issue. Upon restarting it shut down again. A restart or two later it just wouldn't turn on at all so I left it alone for the night.

I assumed it was a power supply issue but I first tested the power cable and used an extra one and it seemed to work. Up until tonight I've had no issues but the same process has started. At first it just wasn't turning on at all. Now it'll boot (normally, all regular POST beeps) until it gets to the Windows logo. It will seem to load normally but as soon as it's finished, and before the login screen, it shuts down again and so the process goes.

I've tested cables, plugs, CMOS, ram, etc but I end up having the same issue. I'm just trying to determine if the power supply is my issue. If there are any suggestions to test out I'm more than willing to give them a try.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

What is the make and model number of your PSU?

Download HWMonitor from here:

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Make sure to download the .zip file to your desktop.

Once downloaded to your desktop unzip the hwmonitor.zip folder to your desktop.

Open up the unzipped folder and run either the 32bit Software or 64bit Software.
How to tell the difference: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218
Allow HWMonitor to run while the PC is at an idle state. After about five minutes of running at idle take a screenshot and save the image to your desktop.

Now allow HWMonitor to run while gaming or doing heavy processing for about five minutes. Take another screenshot and save the image to your desktop.

In your next reply please include both screenshots.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f195/how-to-post-a-screenshot-184291.html
Old 07-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Thanks for the reply! The PSU is an Extreme Gear 700w ATX, model #ATX-CB700W.

Unfortunately I'm unable to even get to the login screen to download anything. Once Windows loads up, it kicks off and restarts again. I was able to get into Safe Mode without it shutting down but currently it won't turn on at all. It's been doing this. It'll not turn on whatsoever, then I can get it going after a few minutes. That's when it'll kick off, restart, kick off, etc... until it just stop turning on at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Boot into the BIOS of the PC and post a picture of the voltages.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Cool, once it finally kicks on I'll do that.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
Emeritus

PC Specs?
Pre- Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

From the description of your problem, your PSU is a very good suspect.
If you have Onboard Graphics, remove the GPU and see if it will boot/run.
I suspect the Voltages will probably be fine in the Bios.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Sorry I couldn't get any more info to you guys. Right after I posted, the PC just wouldn't get any power at all, so I wasn't even able to get TO the bios to check anything. I thought it was sort of weird because initially it was at least booting and running fine in Safe Mode.

I purchased a new PSU today in hopes that was the issue and it seems it was. No problems yet, but I will update you if it happens again.

Thank for the help guys! I'll stick around if it begins again.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Emeritus

Booting to and running in Safe Mode loads the minimum requirements and does not use the GPU so considerably less power is required.
If you replaced the PSU with a good quality unit, that has sufficient power (450W bare minimum for the GTX 460), you're probably good.
Thanks for posting back and best of luck!

Closed Thread