Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Is my PSU failing?

This is a discussion on Is my PSU failing? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When turning on the computer sometimes nothing happens, the power is coming to the PC but that's it, boot sequence

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 04:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

When turning on the computer sometimes nothing happens, the power is coming to the PC but that's it, boot sequence is not starting up and all I see is black screen. Pressing the "reset" button solves the problem most of the times. It wasn't always like this. PC used to work fine, but recently I am having this problem more often. Also, it seems that sometimes when doing the fresh start of the PC the performance is slow (restarting helps) and sometimes it works fine. I was wondering could this be the PSU?

Edit:
The only hardware change I did was adding more RAM, but I doubt that this could be the cause, because problem didn't start immediately after adding RAM, there is a huge gap of time between those two events
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

What is the hardware inside the PC?

Inside the BIOS what are the 12V, 3.3, 5V, and VCORE voltages?
Old 10-17-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

My System

You are describing a common symptom of an intermittently failing PSU. But it could be other things causing that symptom too.

You say the PC is getting power, I assume by seeing lights and fans start to spin. But that does not mean all the required voltages are being supplied properly.

The only conclusive way the majority of users can determine if a PSU is causing problems or not is to swap in a known good PSU and see if the problems go away. I would sure borrow a known good PSU before spending money on anything else.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

First and foremost, please post your computer specs when you can. It's possible that your issue could be a failing video card as well. May I ask, does your motherboard have on-board video? Or, is your computer currently using on-board video?

If your computer has an add-on video card installed, un-installed the drivers for that add-on video card. Then turn off your computer and take out the video card from your computer. Then turn on your computer and try using the on-board video on your computer and see if the same issue happens.

Hope everything works out well for you.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

Mobo: MSI H81M-P33
CPU: intel i3-4160
GPU: geforce GTX 650
RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3

The only voltages I found in BIOS:
CPU VCCIN: 1,744
SYSTEM/5V: 5,12 - 5,16
SYSTEM/12V: 12,144 - 12,232

About the integrated video cards... not experienced here, never actually tried using one. It seems that I do have integrated video card (can make changes to it in the BIOS and there is a connector on the mobo) but in the device manager under the display adapters the only one that appears is the geforce (I know that on laptops you can see two display adapters). Probably I should mention that it is a desktop, not a laptop.

Out of curiosity calculated the required wattage for the entire system and demand doesn't exceed supply.

Thing is that PC used to work fine with the current hardware settings (the only thing that changed was an additional RAM chip), but it didn't occur immediately after the RAM installation, I doubt that it could be related to RAM. Furthermore the problem is occasional, doesn't happen every single time when i turn on/restart the computer and it seems to be random, I don't see any patterns.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:44 AM   #6
Registered Member

Also, bought a new monitor some time ago, not sure if it could have ANY effect on this.

Bill Bright, your suggestion is good, swapping the PSU with another one could give some valuable information, unfortunately no one has spare PSU to lend for a couple of days.

P.S.
Why editing is limited to 15 mins only?
Old 10-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
P.S.
Why editing is limited to 15 mins only?
Every site is different but one of the main reasons is to prevent missing information. When you create a new post, those helpers who have subscribed to the forum or your thread will get notice of the post. But when you edit a post no notice goes out. So if you edit and change or add important information, it may go totally unnoticed. By adding another post, everyone will see it.

I personally think sites should allow editing if no one else has read the original or no reply has been made regardless the amount of time passed - at least for those sites where the email notifications don't include the text of the original post. But it is up to the site admin, not me.

If you don't have a PSU you can borrow, then you can have that one tested. Most shops will do it for a very nominal fee, or even free.

Alternatively, you can use a PSU Tester but note testers (or multimeters) are NOT conclusive either.

Conclusively testing requires the use of an oscilloscope with the PSU under a variety of realistic loads, or a proper power supply analyzer - both of which are expensive pieces of test equipment that require some expertise to use and understand the results. This is why swapping in a known good spare is best for most home users.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread