Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Is it possible to clear ram manually?

This is a discussion on Is it possible to clear ram manually? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. RAM is running low. and I want to get some back. What suggestion that I see most aside from shutting

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bill_Bright
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 11:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

RAM is running low. and I want to get some back. What suggestion that I see most aside from shutting down is to close and reopen explorer.

There are programs that claim to do it, and another suggestion here is to create a shortcut containing this code:
Code:
%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
But do any of these methods actually work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019, 12:57 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

It might help if you describe your normal usage, duration of the sessions, software used, etc.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
RAM is running low. and I want to get some back.
But do any of these methods actually work?
Not for your problem.

And to that, what is telling you you are running low on RAM. If you are not getting any errors, you likely don't have a problem.

The reason to clear RAM is really for security - so a bad guy stepping up to your computer as you run to the bathroom cannot access some sensitive data that might still be in RAM.

Clearing RAM because you are running low on RAM is not how memory management works. Windows will automatically dump lower priority data as space is needed. The user does not need to do anything.

If you are running low on RAM it is more likely you have too many programs starting with Windows, you dinked with the Page File setting when you should just let Windows manage it, and/or you are running low of free disk space.

8GB of system RAM is typically plenty for W7 work just fine in. So check your startup programs and disable any you don't regularly use. You can see what they are in Task Manager.

Run CCleaner or Windows Disk Cleanup to clear out the clutter on your drives. If you dinked with the Page File settings, change them back to Windows Managed. If still low on free disk space, uninstall any programs you installed you don't use. If you don't know what it is, Google it. If you still don't know, leave it.
NotSoGeeky and SpywareDr like this.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Sorry if my intentions were not clear. I am not having any actual problems... no issues like a leak or a sudden drop in RAM causing a hang with no explanation.

I was speaking along the lines of running several programs that use up a lot of RAM quickly (such as, while free RAM was already low, using an image program trying to process a ridiculously large file.) When done, the RAM is not suddenly freed and give back to me.

So, with that in mind, this is why I was wondering if there was some way to do that instead of a long wait or a restart. (I remember back in Windows v3.1 days I had a program that could do it, so everything was so much simpler back then.)

Thanks for taking the time to explain the processes a little more clearly.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
When done, the RAM is not suddenly freed and give back to me.
How do you know this?

What should happen is when you open another program, Word for example, any previously unused RAM would then be allocated to Word.

Windows 7 (if your profile information is correct) knows how to manage memory fine. If you are not getting any errors, I would not worry about it.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:58 AM   #6
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

How often do you restart your machine? Have have seen issues with Machines that havent been rebooted for 20+ days before now but not really before unless your installing lots of programs and windows updates are screaming for a restart
Old 02-04-2019, 06:40 AM   #7
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
Have have seen issues with Machines that havent been rebooted for 20+ days before now
I used to see this a lot with XP, much less with Windows 7 and very rarely with Windows 10 (I avoided Vista and rarely used W8).

Point being, newer versions of Windows are much better at memory management. So are the programs to run on newer versions of Windows.

I rarely ever reboot, unless some Windows or security update forces it.

Closed Thread