Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Is 3 or 4 gigs of RAM on XP 32bit useful?

This is a discussion on Is 3 or 4 gigs of RAM on XP 32bit useful? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A few questions. . After reading countless threads and articles about how a 32 bit os can only read somewhere

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

A few questions. .

After reading countless threads and articles about how a 32 bit os can only read somewhere between 3 and 3.5 gigs of ram, my question is if you have 3 or 4 gigs, is it putting the RAM to any good use if it reads lower than the amount you have? I am deciding whether or not to buy more RAM, but if i decide to stick with 32bit XP then from what I've read more than 2 gigs would be pointless.

Can you install Vista over XP without formatting? Not to have dual partitions or whatever its called but so that it's the only OS on the computer.

I have read that while Vista with DX10 offers fantastic in game visual quality it sacrifices fps. Is this true only for DX10 games or all games that are being played on it?

My rig is

GeForce 8600 GTS
Mobo - Microstar MS-7379
Intel Core 2 Duo
2 Gigs DDR2 RAM

Answers to any of the questions appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Emeritus

32Bit OS will only "see" up to 3.25GB of RAM but it is not "wasted".
3GB is sufficient but with the cheap prices of DDR2 RAM. I always suggest getting a 2X2GB matched pair.
You can install XP "over" Vista. XP will ask you if you want to Delete the present OS on the Hdd. You select Yes. Personally, I prefer to wipe the Hdd with a third party app. DBAN-UBD-Killdisk
Be CERTAIN you have the Mobo drivers for XP. If you have a custom built PC, the drivers will be on the Mobo CD.
If you have a pre-Built PC, check the manufacturer's site for the appropriate drivers. (i.e. Chipset-Video-Audio-Ethernet)

Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

I currently have XP installed, and am considering changing to Vista. And i do have a cd with the drivers for Vista. Thank you for clearing up that the RAM would be used.
I am still trying to figure out if Vista or XP is better to play games with 4 Gigs of RAM. Obviouslly Vista has DX10 but i am trying to find out if it is also better for other games too, so if anyone can tell me which would be better for gaming in general that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Registered Member

Sorry for double posting, I can't find an edit option anywhere.

At https://www.techsupportforum.com/f210...am-287320.html I see this

"Also note that any application running in Windows XP 32bit is limited to 2GB and will not address anything above 2GB. This is lifted in 64bit, however if you are running a 32bit application in a 64bit OS, you still have the 2GB limit."

So how does more RAM benefit me then?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Emeritus

32Bit XP w/SP2 will "see" up to 3.25GB of 4GB of RAM. I suggest 4GB (matched pair of 2X2GB) because RAM is cheap now and it won't have any negative effects.
If you go to Vista, you will need the extra RAM. Vista is a RAM hog.
I have absolutely NO use for Vista so I can't comment on any gaming performance gains using it. If you want to go 64Bit, go with Windows 7.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

the two gig limit was from old motherboard bios and the high density memory battle ..........with todays Core 2D's you can forget that info, its too outdated

I have downgraded alot of customers from vista to xp so they would get more game speed and smoothness, although alot of guys like vista too

Windows 7 will be available in the next few days, its like vista but better.........less bloat and systems run faster than vista

but I would stick with a 32bit version of either one you choose

the 64bit version comes with a unique set of problems and glitches all of its own ........memory is only something you worry about if you dont have enough, watch your system resource meter while you are gaming ..........can you use all the memory you have now ? I know for a fact you cant use all three gigs in a 32bit gaming situation.......... I have seen as much as 2.6gigs used in gaming, but that is rare and it was a gaming situation of all out Player vs player "battle royal" end of the world type thing with explosions and grenades and flares etc ............the action so intense; all players were dead in less than 30 seconds and that gave me my witnessed & recorded game high memory use of all time in a 32bit world .....2.6 gigs
Closed Thread