Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Installing RAM Snafu

This is a discussion on Installing RAM Snafu within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, Recently was helping a friend add memory to an old Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop that he recently began using

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,
Recently was helping a friend add memory to an old Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop that he recently began using again after a newer computer broke down.
This desktop had only 256 Mb Ram (2 separate 126 Mb modules). Now I had added memory to each of my last three PCs- but i am by no means an expert in any way.
He purchased memory that was suppose to be compatible. DDR pc-3200 type.

Anyway, after a couple failed attempts to add the memory a message in simple white text on solid black screen said there was a failure at checkpoint [Krst].

We both thought things would be fine after we just basically took out the new modules and put the original ones back where they were before we got in over our heads. The machine now doesn't even power on.
(When the power button is pressed there are tones- about 1 second each- that just repeat. But the monitor doesn't even come on at all now.

Any opinions, suggestions, etc would be so appreciated.
-Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Clear CMOS settings.

Remove the battery from the motherboard or use the jumper.

Attempt to boot the PC with just the old memory installed and make sure seated properly.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

There are 4 diagnostic lights are any lit up and which color are they?

Here is the Beep code list and the diag lite guide > Documentation

But it sounds to me like the sticks are either backwards(they are keyed and only go in one way) or not fully seated in the slots.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compaq 1.6ghz 8gb ram vs eMachines 2.8ghz 4gb ram
Hi all! The motherboard on my refurbished Dell Inspiron desktop just kicked the bucket (I'll never buy refurbished again btw). So now I need to replace my pc with a new one. I use my pc for music production. I need to make sure my pcs can run my music programs without...
midiblazer RAM and Power Supply Support 6 11-20-2011 07:08 AM
Computer won't boot after installing new RAM cards
Hello everyone. I am dealing with a bit of a dinosaur of a computer, one that has an IBM 627661Y motherboard, and uses an Intel Pentium IIIE, 1000 Mhz (7.5 x 133) ... The total RAM memory in the two cards filling the two (only two) slots, is something like 389 MB. Not sure of the exact...
haskellbob RAM and Power Supply Support 2 11-17-2011 03:51 PM
Computer wont start after installing more RAM!
Hi people, I'm new to the forum but I'm sure ill be making good use of it with the pickle ive just gotten myself into! I just bought another 1GB of RAM for my compaq presario SR1937. I've been running on 1GB of RAM ever since the second original piece went bust. I've just tried to install the...
snowy88 RAM and Power Supply Support 3 07-22-2011 04:09 PM
Installing Ram
Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem installing ram on my new laptop (Toshiba), this is my first time installing ram so I don't really know how to go about it. The ram came free with the laptop, it had 4gb originally and 2gb came free I've looked at the guide on this website but can't find out how to...
Frenzy124 RAM and Power Supply Support 3 07-09-2011 07:29 AM
Corsair Ram issues
Hello all. Im new to this site and have been literally trawling the net and a lot of forums looking for anyone with my problems or similar. I feel I have gone as far as I can go with this and it has brought me here. I would be very grateful if I could be advised but I will warn that this may...
sparky05084 RAM and Power Supply Support 4 03-12-2011 06:40 PM