Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Installed a new PSU, and now the computer (Win7 desktop) won't recover from normal Sl

This is a discussion on Installed a new PSU, and now the computer (Win7 desktop) won't recover from normal Sl within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. It's a pretty standard Win 7 box. Sleep is enabled, but Hibernate/Suspend are disabled, and always have been. I replaced

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

It's a pretty standard Win 7 box. Sleep is enabled, but Hibernate/Suspend are disabled, and always have been. I replaced the PSU and case two days ago. Save for that, everything else is a few years old. Up until I replaced the PSU, I never had this problem.

When the computer puts itself to sleep now (after 30 minutes), they keyboard no longer wakes up the computer, nor does the mouse. Both are marked for "Allow this device to wake up the computer" and have worked perfectly until the PSU swap.

Pushing the POWER button on the case starts up the PSU, but the computer does not respond. Though I can hear the system fans spinning, neither the keyboard nor mouse LEDs get power, and I can't do anything to wake the PC.

From this mode, the only thing I can do is hold down the POWER button for five seconds to force a full power-down, then push it again to power it back up. BIOS passes fine, but Windows chokes and says it failed to shutdown properly, and should we startup in Safe mode, or Normally.

Since all the software settings (sleep, power on devices, etc) have been untouched and were working before the PSU switch, I'm not real sure where to look for the problem. I suspect BIOS ( looks like this one), but I'm not real sure what it would be.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2016, 06:52 AM   #2
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
but Hibernate/Suspend are disabled, and always have been
That's good because those are really for notebooks, not PCs.

Why did you replace the PSU? Most motherboards require two and sometimes 3 connections directly from the power supply. Make sure all have been made and they are secured tightly. Then check your other connections and make sure they are correct. Probably not the cause of this issue but note for some supplies, it is easy to confuse the extra motherboard and extra graphics card power connectors.

Are you using the same USB ports as before the case swap?

Not sure the point of showing us a snapshot from a BIOS image that is not yours. It confused me for a second when I saw the system date was 7/24/2012.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 07-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

I double checked the connections. It's got both the big 24-pin power and the secondary 8-pin over by the CPU. Everything seems secure, and I don't have any other power issues.

I replaced the other PSU and case because they got damaged in a move. (The components were wrapped in bubble-wrap and in a separate box, but the case and PSU got dropped.)

As best as I can remember, I'm using the same USB ports.

The pic of the bios is just to show which one my mobo is using; I'm not particularly familiar with it, and maybe someone knows some power setting in there that should be fooled with.

Is there any diagnostic that I can run to figure out why it won't power up the mobo/peripherals after a long Sleep? (If I manually put it to Sleep then immediately wake it up, it's fine.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Voltage monitoring software etc could help, issue is that few programs will save data through a restart. Best is to back probe the connections with a multimeter, then shorten the sleep delay and let it go to sleep while watching voltages.

It may just be something with the power supply and motherboard communication. I ran into the same trouble just before I built this system. It would wake up from sleep with no problem with the old PSU, a thermaltake(?) 625, but some time after installing a second video card I picked up a larger PSU.(a corsair 800) with that PSU, sleep and hibernate wouldn't work. Reinstall the old one and all was fine, then when I built a new system I used a corsair 1000 watt and it worked fine as well. Oddly, the same PS that wouldn't wake up in my windows computer works fine in my linux system.

I tried several things, and finally settled for a blank screen saver with no sleep
Old 07-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Sorry, I did not get or missed the notice of your reply.

You say when you push the power button the PSU starts, but the computer does not respond. What exactly does that mean? How do you know the PSU starts? Do case or CPU fans spin up?

Quote:
If I manually put it to Sleep then immediately wake it up, it's fine
Then your voltages and PSU are probably fine.

It sounds like to me the USB ports are not remaining active once the computer goes to sleep. The odd part is, it should make no difference if you let the computer go to sleep, or you manually put it to sleep. But actions should put it in the same sleep state. I would still try a different set of ports. Shutdown and unplug the computer from the wall. This ensures all standby voltages are removed. Then move the keyboard and mouse connectors to a different set of USB ports, connect power and boot. The drivers should re-install and hopefully be good to go.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread