Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

If there is a God he hates me =[

This is a discussion on If there is a God he hates me =[ within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok here is the problem(s) that have lead me to my title's conviction. To get things going as quick as

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #1

Ok here is the problem(s) that have lead me to my title's conviction.

To get things going as quick as possible I spilled some water on my tower and it went through the fan at the top down into my actual computer. My monitor flickered and then went black. I turned off my computer only to try again later to receive the 'No Signal' message and the monitor went from green to orange. I thought that time would fix this problem just because it was only a minute amount of water but boy was I wrong. To speed things up I ruled out it was a video card problem because my keyboard wouldn't 'power up'. I use the Logitech G15 and it glows up orange when the computer starts. But anywho I figured that if it was a video card problem then my keyboard wouldn't be having any problems. So I convinced myself it was the MoBo so I ordered a new one and installed everything.
When I tried powering the comp up nothing happened. So process of elimination lead me to the fans that you hook up to your power supply that are on my case, I guess the wiring got shorted. Whenever I tried to power up with the cables plugged in to sys_fan1 or 2 nothing would happen. So I left those unplugged and powered up and the original problem is occurring again. 'No Signal' is all I see when I power up so now I am wondering if my RAM could be the cause of all this or is my CPU busted? I think it may be the RAM now but would that cause my system not to start up at all when I plug in the system fans?

All I can say is and if anyone could shed some light on this and help me out I would GREATLY appreciate it because right now I am COMPLETELY lost. =[

Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Do you have access to a digital volt meter?> https://www.techsupportforum.com/f210...er-151526.html

I would start there by removing the fans your removing load from the PSU.

What are your complete system specs Ram, MB, Vid card, PSU, Case?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #3

Had my power supply tested and its running perfectly fine.

I tried connecting the cable that connects all the system fans into the sys_fan without actually hooking the cable up with any fans it didn't work. I tried this with both cables on both sys_fan slots and the system wouldn't boot up.

Specs are

4 gigs of g skill ddr2 1066 ram
intell 2.4 quad core processor
vista 64 bit
and the new MoBo is a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX
case also is CASE ANTEC|NINE HUNDRED BK RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

How was your psu tested under load I.E. in a system or with a LED tester?
The PSU is at the bottom of your case with the fan pointing up right where the water would go.

Try booting with no drives, 1 stick of ram , if you have a low power video card use that see if it will post.

What PSU and Vid card do you have?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #5

I live close to a staples so they tested it real quick and said it was running perfectly.

I booted without anything except for MAIN/ATX/CPU_FAN and the memory still in and all the MoBo did was beep continuously with red lights until I powered down. Then I hooked everything up except for the fans and I got it to power up atleast. Then I tested my RAM and I tried one stick and each four of the slots and nothing. Tried this with both sticks and no success.

Also the video card I have is a GeForce 8800 GT and the power supply is a OCZ|OCZ700GXSSLI 700W RT
Old 02-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

See if you can borrow a psu to try.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #7

Why would I need to borrow a PSU if the one I have currently is working perfectly fine?

I'm thinking its more along the lines of the RAM because the water could have easily gotten on that.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Try some different ram but I don't think that is your problem.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #9

Well when I googled ram and 'no input' the two seemed to coincide so idk =[
Old 02-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #10

So you are going to believe Staples when they said that your PSU is OK without verifying that for yourself, well you could be trying to debug this problem for a long time.

Does your new mobo have on board video? If so try that, it not try another video card as well. If the PC was running when water splashed everywhere and you replaced the mobo, well the first thing I would suspect is the PSU, regardless of what Staples says. But the water could have shorted out and burnt up power lines on the video card as well, maybe the ram, but I doubt it just because the voltages are lower, so the max instantaneous current draw would be less and may not burn out a trace.

Either way, I would double check the PSU to make sure it is operational, one less thing to worry about if it does check out OK.
Closed Thread