Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

I don't know what isn't working.

This is a discussion on I don't know what isn't working. within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Yesterday I finished building my PC because the power supply got to my house and I had most of it

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

Yesterday I finished building my PC because the power supply got to my house and I had most of it already finished. I plugged in all the cables from the PSU and made sure they were in the correct places. It started working and all the fans and stuff started working once I plugged it in to the wall. I then plugged in my monitor and put a thumb drive with windows 10 on it and it prompted me to enter the code so I did and it downloaded windows and eventually got to the desktop screen. After it was running for a bit I wanted to move it into place so I turned off the computer and disconnected the cables from the back. But once I got the cables back in the computer wouldn't turn on. I made sure all the internal cables are in still and they are and I still cant get it to come on. Please help .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Check PSU installation.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Check main power plug and make sure it is tight as most need to be in so far and secure.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
Registered Member

I appreciate the help but I tried both of those and it's still not powering on
Old 04-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Check main power plug and make sure it is tight as most need to be in so far and secure.
I put my specs on my profile just now
Old 04-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

PSU very low for gaming.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Agreed with Corday!

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
PSU very low for gaming.
Should I return it and get a better one?
Old 04-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
Registered Member

What is a good affordably priced one for gaming?
Old 04-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

There will be many suggestions. As a start, look at my System Specs>Power Supply.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Here I must differ. The Corsair CX is fine for a basic computer but not for gaming.
I still have no idea what your hardware is you said you listed it on your profile but there is a listing which puts it right into your user with the words "My System" if you look at Corday's post so it will be in every post. Go for Antec HCG model, or any Seasonic or XFX 550 watts or higher. If I knew your system I could be more accurate.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

He put it in his "Your Computer". I was hesitant to recommend a high end PSU as his CPU, a Pentium4, dual core is kind of at the other end.

EDIT Wife was on gaming computer. Just checked PSU. It's 500W EVGA 80+ Certified. Not the best, but satisfactory.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly_bellydean View Post
After it was running for a bit I wanted to move it into place so I turned off the computer and disconnected the cables from the back. But once I got the cables back in the computer wouldn't turn on. I made sure all the internal cables are in still and they are and I still cant get it to come on. Please help .
At all? No beeps, LEDs, fan noises, etc.?

Is there a power switch or circuit breaker on the PSU? Are you sure the outlet is good?
Old 04-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #14
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

First off, make sure you have power at the wall outlet. You should be using a surge protector and the pilot light should be on. Start from the source and work your way to the computer.....not the other way around. Make sure the wall receptacle is not "split" and controlled by a switch.....even if the top/bottom is hot does not mean the other one is. You need to test the one you are using.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #15
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Yeah the better EVGA psus start at 550 watts made by Super Flower which are comparable to Seasonic.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #16
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

EVGA SuperNova PSUs are excellent. We use them exclusively on all our builds now. I have the EVGA 550W G2 SuperNova on this system. And it is so quiet, I have to put my ear up to the exhaust vent so I can "feel" the air blowing on my ear to know the fan is spinning.

While Raidmax is certainly not known for quality PSUs, the 380W PSU is not the problem here (assuming it is working properly). That GTX 1050 graphics card is not thrifty, but it is not a guzzler either. As per the specs, it consumes just 75W and the recommended minimum PSU is 300W. The G4400 CPU and 1 stick of DDR4 are not guzzlers either. Assuming there are 2 HDs, 1 optical and 3 x 120mm case fans, 380W leaves lots of head room.

Plus it was running fine for awhile.

Still, I always want to ensure good clean stable power when troubleshooting hardware issues, so swapping in a known good PSU while testing is a good idea.

A common mistake by newbies and distracted experts alike is inserting more standoffs under the board than needed. All cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. So there almost always are more standoff mounting holes in the case than there are motherboard mounting holes. Inserting an extra standoff can short out a motherboard. Moving the computer after the initial setup could have "flexed" the case causing an extra standoff to make contact with one or more live circuits. I would pull the motherboard and make 200% sure you only have a standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 04-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #17
Registered Member

Smile

I got my power supply and it is definitely working because the front fan, PSU fan and video card fan are all working. But the CPU fan and the cases back fan aren't working and I am sure they are plugged in. Any thoughts?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post
EVGA SuperNova PSUs are excellent. We use them exclusively on all our builds now. I have the EVGA 550W G2 SuperNova on this system. And it is so quiet, I have to put my ear up to the exhaust vent so I can "feel" the air blowing on my ear to know the fan is spinning.

While Raidmax is certainly not known for quality PSUs, the 380W PSU is not the problem here (assuming it is working properly). That GTX 1050 graphics card is not thrifty, but it is not a guzzler either. As per the specs, it consumes just 75W and the recommended minimum PSU is 300W. The G4400 CPU and 1 stick of DDR4 are not guzzlers either. Assuming there are 2 HDs, 1 optical and 3 x 120mm case fans, 380W leaves lots of head room.

Plus it was running fine for awhile.

Still, I always want to ensure good clean stable power when troubleshooting hardware issues, so swapping in a known good PSU while testing is a good idea.

A common mistake by newbies and distracted experts alike is inserting more standoffs under the board than needed. All cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. So there almost always are more standoff mounting holes in the case than there are motherboard mounting holes. Inserting an extra standoff can short out a motherboard. Moving the computer after the initial setup could have "flexed" the case causing an extra standoff to make contact with one or more live circuits. I would pull the motherboard and make 200% sure you only have a standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.
I have made sure.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:40 AM   #19
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

OK when you say move it back in place, did you remove only the plugs in the back without touching anything inside? If yes try plugging directly into the wall eliminating surge protector. If still no power can you run an extension cord to another outlet? If the outlet and strip are not the issue I wonder if when you unplugged it the system wasn't all the way down because this sounds like the board or the cpu has gone bad.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:29 AM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

^^ The way I read it, he has 5V but not 12V, or maybe the other way around.

I have a simple PSU tester that might tell me that.
Closed Thread