Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

HP Internal Battery warning

This is a discussion on HP Internal Battery warning within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Unit: HP ProBook 6550b, Windows 7 professional 32 bit., 4g ram. I have noticed lately when booting up the computer

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Unit: HP ProBook 6550b, Windows 7 professional 32 bit., 4g ram.

I have noticed lately when booting up the computer I get a warning about an internal battery problem. I have not ever had to replace an internal battery on a computer but have had to replace the external ones. I guess it might be going out. With the unit being approximately 11 years old I guess it may be time to replace it but even using the HP PC Windows Diagnostic software it did not give specific info like the actual part # for the battery or whether to replace or not. It was more like charge status True or False info. Sounds like typical tech software that someone trained in that area could understand. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

It may be referring to the CMOS/RTC (real time clock) battery under the keyboard.

HP ProBook 6550b Notebook PC - Removing and Replacing the RTC Battery
Old 12-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
It may be referring to the CMOS/RTC (real time clock) battery under the keyboard.

Thanks for the information. That is what I was thinking but there is also the battery that is attached to the back of the unit which they always seem to go out pretty quick. I can tell on them because they do not last very long when the unit is not plugged into the charger. The error code is 601 that keeps posting so I may check with HP if I can get info from them. If not I may just replace the RTC since those do not cost very much. Also, I have never seen an error code show up when the battery that is plugged into the charger starts to go bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Hmmm, "internal" is a bit confusing then.

Try running the HP Battery Check program to see if the main laptop's battery needs to be replaced.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post

Just wanted to let you know the primary battery referred to on the HP laptops with the error code 601 represents the large battery on the back of the unit that easily unclamps and is replaceable. It is the one that is charged via the power supply. The code represents that it can not be charged to more than 25% of it's capacity and needs to be replaced.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Thanks for the update.
Closed Thread