Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

How to remove lag in game when video editing in same time?

This is a discussion on How to remove lag in game when video editing in same time? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, I hope I am posting in the correct section. My PC specs: Laptop: Asus S96J Notebook 15.4" WXGA

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys, I hope I am posting in the correct section.

My PC specs:
Laptop: Asus S96J Notebook 15.4" WXGA 1280x800, bought in summer 2006
Motherboard: Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset w/ Centrino Technology
CPU: Intel Core Duo T2500 Dual-Core Processor 2.0GHz 667FSB 31W 2MB L2 Cache
RAM: 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 DDR2-667 SODIMM Memory (Corsair Value Select)
GPU: Built-in Mobility Radeon X1600 256MB PCI-Express X16 Video
NET: 15/10 Mbps

I am busy with work most of the time so I don't have much time to play new games, I don't have a game that is from 2005 or newer, my latest games are from 2003 and 2004.

I sometimes (out of nostalgia) play these older games:
Colin McRae Rally 04 (2004)
Commandos 3 (2003)
NFS Underground 2 (2004)
RTL Ski Jumping 2005 (2004)
Thief 3 (2004)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 (2003).

The game that I play most often is Call of Duty 1 (2003).

I play Call of Duty 1 online 1-2 hours a day, and it runs perfectly fine without any problems.
I sometimes use the program Format Factory for video editing.

The problem is: if Format Factory is editing and I play Call of Duty 1 online at the same time - the game lags a bit.

I was wondering if buying 4GB RAM (2x2GB) would help in this case?
I heard Win XP Pro uses max 3.3 GB RAM, but I still wonder if it would help or improve the overall PC performance a bit?
What do you guys think?

To be honest, I don't really know if my Laptop supports more than 2 GB RAM, is there a way for me to check this?
If it is safe to put 2x2GB RAM (4GB total), I just hope I can find compatible RAM for my Laptop (it's old, from 2006).

Thanks for your time guys, any suggestion is more than welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My personal opinion is that you can buy a (new to you) used, manufacturer refurbished or Off-lease notebook for not much more than the price of RAM for an older machine. Not too long ago, I bought one with Win 7 Pro, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD and a 17" screen for less than $150 shipped.

I also bought a Lenovo ThinkPad L412 i5 2.40GHz with a 320gb HDD, 6GB RAM and Windows7 64bit for $100 plus shipping.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
RAM: 2GB
That's your biggest (tightest) bottleneck. 2GB is barely enough room for Windows itself to operate freely in. Then you even lose some of that 2GB because you are running integrated graphics so a chunk of system RAM is stolen... err... is being "shared" for graphics processing. Add security programs and you eat up another large chunk of RAM. That leaves very little for any applications to run in - let alone two resource hungry programs.

With so little RAM, your system if being forced to bang on the page file on the slow hard drive much more often. If your hard drive is running low on free disk space and/or heavily fragmented, that will further hamper, or even greatly restrict the page file's performance, adversely affecting the computer's over all performance.

XP is another issue. While a great OS in its day, its day is long gone. Besides security issues (which I'll get back to in a minute), XP does not manage system resources as well as modern operating systems do.

Quote:
I heard Win XP Pro uses max 3.3 GB RAM, but I still wonder if it would help or improve the overall PC performance a bit?
What do you guys think?

To be honest, I don't really know if my Laptop supports more than 2 GB RAM, is there a way for me to check this?
It is not the fact it is XP Pro that limits the RAM use to ~3.2GB. It is because it is 32-bit XP. You can visit most any RAM maker's website and run or enter your computer specs into their RAM "wizard" to see what your notebook supports. I recommend checking out the Crucial Memory Advisor. You don't have to buy their RAM but you should look for RAM with the same specs. However, if you buy directly from Crucial, they guarantee compatibility.

Having said all that, I would urge you heed Confounded Also's advice and look to buying a new notebook that supports a modern and secure OS. As I am sure you are aware, XP is no longer supported by Microsoft or by many security programs either. The problem is not that you are putting yourself at risk. The problem is if this notebook connects to a network with Internet access, you become a threat to the rest of us! And that is just not cool, or being a responsible netizen. :(

Bad guys are actively seeking out and targeting XP systems to compromise and infect. They then use those systems to distribute malware and spam, and/or to draft into their bot-armies as zombies in DDoS attacks on others - all without the user being aware their computer has been infected.

As noted, refurbished or off-lease systems with modern operating systems can be had for a song. Check out Walmart refurbished computers.

If replacing this computer is still not in the budget, I would urge you to install and use Linux instead. At the very least, disconnect this computer from Internet access and use it as a stand-alone system.

I fully understand that nobody wants to get rid of perfectly running electronics. But it is just a fact of life. Surely you have retired old cell phones, old TVs, cassette players, VCRs, and more that still worked because of technology advances. This is no different - well it is different because using XP threatens the security of not only yourself, but others too. :(

Bottom line, XP needs to go away!

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Thanks Bill, you beat me to the starting line on this one. I recently worked on two XP systems for clients that had "slowed to a crawl," and found that they had both been taken over as 'bots" and were running DDOS attacks directed by a remote server.

Their ISP accounts were targeted for disconnection within days of the discovery and I had to tell them their ISP was NOT going to allow them back online with XP still running! As you rightly advised, there are many nefarious individuals out there targeting these un-supported systems to the detriment of the rest of us.

The local ISP is actively checking for XP systems and monitoring for any abnormal activity. They are removing the connection and telling the customer that their continued use of them is endangering other users.

I anticipated this day would come sooner or later for die-hard XP holdouts!

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 08-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
Their ISP accounts were targeted for disconnection within days of the discovery
I had completely forgotten about this very real risk too. I had a client who's computer was compromised and used to distribute spam. It was only sending 10 messages per hour so the client noticed nothing. But spam reporting sites soon blacklisted his IP address which soon got the attention of his ISP. If the ISP denies access, that is for all the devices that connect through that gateway device (modem/router).

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks guys.

I guess increasing 2GB RAM to 4GB RAM will not help much for my old laptop, and is best to buy new PC.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:39 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

It won't hurt if you can find a good deal on the RAM you need, but it may not be the best option.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:27 AM   #8
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

More CPU threads and an SSD wouldn't hurt for video editing + gaming either.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #9
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3fan View Post
I guess increasing 2GB RAM to 4GB RAM will not help much for my old laptop, and is best to buy new PC.
I don't know where you got that increasing the RAM will not help much. 2GB is a very restrictive amount. 4GB with a 32-bit OS maxes gives the OS the best advantage to offer the best performance, and at the same time, decreases reliance on the page file which also increases performance. So doubling your RAM will, by far, give you the most bang for your money in terms of performance gains.

It is primarily because of security issues, however, that it would be best to buy a new PC. On the plus side, a new PC will most likely be a much better performer due to the much newer technologies - in addition to the enhanced security.

Closed Thread