Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

How To Power CrossHair V Formula Z's Second P4 (4-pin) Power Connecter

This is a discussion on How To Power CrossHair V Formula Z's Second P4 (4-pin) Power Connecter within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there! I recently bought this motherboard to replace my previous weaker one in order to start overclocking. But I've

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hi there!

I recently bought this motherboard to replace my previous weaker one in order to start overclocking.

But I've run into a dilemma. The manual suggests to connect a P4 (4-pin) power cable in addition to the EPS12vs (4+4pin) power cable already attached in order to help to achieve a higher stable overclock.

Now this is my power supply and it only comes with a single 4+4 12V cable.

My question is if there's any way to either convert a 6+2 PCI cable to 4 pin?
Or perhaps a molex to 4-pin adaptor, as I have a molex power supply cable available?
If either isn't possible, should I get a P4 (4-pin) to EPS12vs (4+4 pin) adaptor and split the power supply's 4+4 in order to power both slots?
Or am I looking at having to buy a new power supply to replace my current one, which is only a year old?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #2
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
Or am I looking at having to buy a new power supply to replace my current one, which is only a year old?
Personally, I think you have a nice spare PSU on your hands. And IMO, everyone should have access to nice spare PSU so that is not a bad thing. Plus, a spare PSU is great for testing fan and drive motors.

I would not "convert" - that is, cut wires and solder on new connectors as that will surely void your 5 year warranty.

There are adapters available for just about any configuration you can think of, so you could adapt another +12V connector. But I don't think that is a good idea. Being a single rail supply means power distribution would not be a problem as far as overloading a rail. But anytime you inserts additional connections (and an adapter would add two), you introduce the potential for several problems - besides a loose connector. These include added resistance through the adapter or potentials for electrical noise. And being a plug and socket device, adapters add more possibilities for dust and grime to interferer with optimal continuity - especially inside a computer case where there is a lot of air constantly moving about pushing dust into every crack and crevice.

So I would just bite the bullet and buy a new PSU.

And don't forget that a common mistake for new overclockers is they neglect to monitor temps and address the additional cooling requirements that added stress on ALL components (note just the overclocked device) creates.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 06-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post
I would not "convert" - that is, cut wires and solder on new connectors as that will surely void your 5 year warranty.
I wasn't clear, sorry. I was asking if there's a 6+2 to 4+4 adaptor (to power the secondary 4pin slot) as I've got a spare 6+2 cable that I can connect to the PSU. But from what you're saying, I gather that there is only one +12V line coming from that PSU, and that the secondary 4pin slot only can take a +12v line?

Quote:
And don't forget that a common mistake for new overclockers is they neglect to monitor temps and address the additional cooling requirements that added stress on ALL components (note just the overclocked device) creates.
Yes, I'm planning on getting watercooling, and I already have a Noctua NH-C14 top down double-fan air cooler that has managed to take me to 4.3 MHz on my 8370 while keeping the temps at 50°C under small ffts in Prime 95. Unfortunately, I can't go any higher in the voltages currently without the CPU going over 62° under load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I wasn't clear, sorry. I was asking if there's a 6+2 to 4+4 adaptor
As I noted in my next sentence, there are adaptors for any configuration. Just plug it into Google.

As I also noted, the mistake new overclockers make is they neglect the cooling of ALL the components, not (I fat-fingered "note" but meant "not") just the overclocked ones. Water coolers are great for the processor, but don't address cooling for the rest of the components.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
As I noted in my next sentence, there are adaptors for any configuration. Just plug it into Google.
Apologies again, but I thought that was in regards to putting a splitter on the 4+4 cable, which I assumed was what you meant when you said, "...so you could adapt another +12V connector." I'm not well versed in power supplies, so does that mean that all the cables are +12V, or is the 4+4 dedicated cable the only one?

Quote:
Water coolers are great for the processor, but don't address cooling for the rest of the components.
Yes, I've currently got a 3 in, 2 out config with 5x Noctua A14 FLX 140mm fans, along with a smaller 80mm fan sitting between the video card and the optical drive bay to push air from the front fans into the space with the CPU. And this is all in a Fractal Design Define R5 case. But my XFX R9 280 is still with it's stock fans. Would I need to increase the fans and switch to watercooling on my video card?
Old 06-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
Visiting Tech

My System

A splitter or an adapter amounts to the same thing - additional connections in the line. And with any wire or cable, the fewer the breaks in the line between the two endpoints, the better.

And no, not all cables carry +12V. Some PSU cables are for +5V and some +3.3V. An adapter would only be for the same voltage so you would not have to worry about that. But if you cut and spliced in a different connector, you would have to verify with certainty you had the correct wires. So again, a new PSU is the safest option. Next would be an adapter.

Quote:
And this is all in a Fractal Design Define R5 case.
Great case! I have the R4 with this computer and love it. Lots of fan options and very very quiet!

Old 06-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
Registered Member

Grin

Quote:
So again, a new PSU is the safest option. Next would be an adapter.
Alrighty, a new PSU it is. Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Great case! I have the R4 with this computer and love it. Lots of fan options and very very quiet!
It's a beautifully done case, though my previous MB made it hard to plug in/out the 8pin power cable around the cooler, and impossible to put an exit fan on the top of the case next to the CPU. Luckily the Crosshair V Formula Z is better laid out, so I can plug that cable in and still have room for an exhaust fan directly above the CPU.

Again, thank you for the help!
Old 06-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Just note that extra power connection may not be needed unless you plan on extreme overclocking such as using Liquid Nitrogen etc.
A standard 8 pin CPU connector will supply sufficient current for the average overclockers use.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #9
Visiting Tech

My System

That is a good point - that extra power connector is not mandatory to operate the computer. As you noted in your opening post, the extra connected is just "suggested". So you might try your existing PSU first then if your system is not stable with the overclocking levels you want, back them off and order a new supply, then try again.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:29 AM   #10
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther063 View Post
A standard 8 pin CPU connector will supply sufficient current for the average overclockers use.
Quote:
That is a good point - that extra power connector is not mandatory to operate the computer.
Right now with air cooling, I can't go over 4.3 MHz with only 1.3v. And 1.31v causes the temps under load to go over the max for the 8370. I was under the impression that the secondary power connector would help make a stable overclock while keeping the volts down... am I incorrect?
Old 06-30-2016, 07:33 AM   #11
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
1.31v causes the temps under load to go over the max

I was under the impression that the secondary power connector would help make a stable overclock while keeping the volts down... am I incorrect?
No, that is not correct - not in this case. Your system is not overheating because of a lack of current. It is overheating because you are pushing it too hard with higher voltages through the divider and bus circuits and inadequate cooling.

Understand a secondary power connection from the power supply is NOT adding more volts. +12V is +12V. A secondary power connection simply provides more current (amperage) at +12V for the motherboard voltage divider circuits to use, without frying the circuits through one connector.

To illustrate, in a basic DC circuit, watts = volts x amps. So if the volts (+12V) remains the same, when you increase the amps, watts goes up. But so does heat.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
A secondary power connection simply provides more current (amperage) at +12V for the motherboard voltage divider circuits to use, without frying the circuits through one connector.
Ahh, I think I get it. Provided I had appropriate cooling (eg. liquid nitrogen), having the secondary connector would allow me to go higher than the suggested 1.5V safely, right?
Closed Thread