Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

How much ram can my motherboard take?

This is a discussion on How much ram can my motherboard take? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've got an ASUS P5KC. I had my pc custom build from a website and I remember being told when

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

I've got an ASUS P5KC. I had my pc custom build from a website and I remember being told when chosing all the pieces that I could only have 3Gb of ram, which is what I have.

I assumed that was a fact until recently I saw that the motherboard could support up to 8 gig on the corsair configurator.

Is that dependent on any other parts like processor etc or will it take 8 gig regardless of your other components?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikiri View Post
I've got an ASUS P5KC. I remember being told when chosing all the pieces that I could only have 3Gb of ram, which is what I have.
According to ASUS page for that board, it supports 2X DDR3 to a max 4GB or 4X DDR2 to a max 8GB.

32bit operating systems support only 3GB of memory. I suspect that is why you were told this. What version of Windows are you using?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

XP Pro, 32 bit :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

32 bit only addresses up to 4 gig including system devices and add in cards, usually around 3.2 will show as usable, however 32 bit almost never needs more then about 2.8gig except in very rare cases so your not missing anything.
Closed Thread