Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

How much RAM can I install?

This is a discussion on How much RAM can I install? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone. So I have an older laptop and I would like to upgrade the RAM. I have no idea

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone.

So I have an older laptop and I would like to upgrade the RAM. I have no idea if there is a limit, however. My specs are below.

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Processor: AMD A8-3520M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.60 GHz
Installed RAM: 6.00 GB (5.48 GB usable)
64-bit Operating System, Windows 7

I have looked at the RAM and one of the sticks (probably not the right word, forgive me) has 4GB, while the other has 2GB. There are only 2 slots for RAM. If anyone knows how much more RAM I'd be able to install, I would greatly appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

and welcome to the Forum

Use the memory configuration tool at Crucial.com - DRAM, solid state drive (SSD) memory upgrades for Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq, Lenovo, Acer, ASUS
Old 11-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a low end laptop like that, it has 6 GB RAM already which is pretty darn good. The only reason I would up the RAM on a laptop is to increase the speed and maybe up it to 8 GB. Anything above 8 on a low end laptop like yours, is just wasting money.

To answer your question of how much RAM; you would need to contact HP or check their website and see what the maximum upgrade is for that particular laptop.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

My System

I agree with bassfisher. 6Gb is already a very nice amount and it is not likely you will notice any performance gains by adding more. Upgrading to W10 may help performance some, but if you really want to boost your performance without buying a new notebook, replacing the hard drive with a SSD would be your best option.

Quote:
sticks (probably not the right word, forgive me)
"Stick" is not the "proper" word, but it is widely accepted and understood to mean "computer memory", or "RAM module". So no forgiveness due.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
Registered Member

Not sure if the same works on laptops, but here it is how i do it on my pc:
1. Use CPU-Z and find out your motherboard model;
2. Find the manufacturer of your mobo (motherboard) on the internet and look for your model specifications.
For example, here it is what i find about my mobo ram support:

EDIT: Important note, you should also look at your CPU specifications, what type of ram it supports, speed, voltage etc.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

My System

The CPU does not really matter. It is up to the motherboard chipset as to what RAM (and CPU) that specific motherboard supports, and to ensure the supported RAM and CPU work together properly.

If the computer is self/custom built, the best bet is to visit the motherboard's website and look at the memory QVL (qualified vendors list). This is a list of RAM the board maker has tested and verified is supported by that specific board. Because there are too many RAM makers and models, the motherboard makers cannot test them all, so you don't have to buy listed RAM, but you should by RAM with the same specifications as listed RAM.

That said, the "easiest" way to ensure compatibility is to follow Old Rich's suggestion and visit the Crucial website and use their Advisor tool or their System Scanner which will scan your computer, determine the compatible RAM, and offer compatible options. And while you don't have to buy Crucial RAM or from the Crucial website, if you do buy directly from the Crucial site, they guarantee 100% compatibility.

BTW, board makers typically also maintain a CPU QVL and because each chipset only supports a limited number of CPU, and only Intel or only AMD, the board makers can test them all. So you must buy a listed CPU to ensure compatibility.
Closed Thread