Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Help with EVGA psu cables

This is a discussion on Help with EVGA psu cables within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, I recently purchased this psu to replace my dying one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The G3, 550W. Everything hooked up perfectly.

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 03:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hello all, I recently purchased this psu to replace my dying one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The G3, 550W. Everything hooked up perfectly. The Motherboard cables, the cpu cables and all that, but when I got to the pcie cable to connect to my graphics card, it wouldn't fit. It turns out the cable is wrong for my card and the pins don't match. Pics:
The plug on my graphics card:Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo editing_Cloud20180222.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	318918
The plug on the cable: Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo editing_Cloud20180222_1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	318920
I don't know what type of cable I would need for this but I read it would have to be from EVGA or be made exactly like their's if I don't want to fry my graphics card. EVGA seems to only sell their cables in giant packs of 70 dollars or so. So my question is this: Do you know of an EVGA cable I could buy anywhere that would fit, or one that is made just like their's that would?
PS. Sorry for really crummy format and pictures. I'm on mobile and pictures were also taken with mobile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2018, 03:54 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

It should fit with no problem. What you have is a 6 or 8 pin cable (combo cable).....it can do both, same as the mobo cable 20 +4 cable. All you have to do is push the extra 2 pin connection close enough together(there should a lock on it to keep it together) to fit in your 8 pin port on your GPU.

Just make sure that the 6/8 pin cable says PCIe on it at the connection point. In your case, that evga says VGA.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

I managed to fit the plug, but the top left of the cable's plug has a square and a circle (?). My graphics card has 2 squares. The little tab that holds it in place also won't go down no matter how much I shove it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
Game Team Tech

what happened to the other cable? from the old power supply.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

That one wasn't modular, and I can't mix and match anyway.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:11 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I have worked with many EVGA power supplies (I use them in two of my own systems, including this computer I am using now) and they always came with the proper cables. It is critical to understand that many graphics cards require a direct connect 8-pin power cable that looks almost exactly like the 8-pin PCIe motherboard power cable. But they are NOT the same should NOT be mixed up. You need to study the cables that came with your PSU again and make sure you use the right one, and that it is connected to the right port on the supply.

Don't try to force a square peg in a round hole.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 02-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #7
Registered Member

I read the manual and my EVGA psu came with 2 cables (6+2) for graphics cards, but the pegs on the end of both that plug into the graphics card are the same. I fit it into my graphics card because it was a round peg going into a square hole. The psu that came with my computer had a 6+2 cable that fit perfectly and all the pegs matched, but the pegs don't match on the EVGA psu. I'm not sure if it was made to have a round peg there so it could fit different plugs or not. What's confusing is that the opposite end of the cable that's just 8 and not 6+2 matches perfectly but then the 6+2 side won't plug into the psu. I realize I should have put all of this in my original post, oops.
PS. Thank you for the help, everyone.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #8
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I fit it into my graphics card because it was a round peg going into a square hole.
Round peg in square hole, or square peg in a round hole - it is the same difference. It is the wrong cable! They are NOT interchangable! When talking electronics, multiple wires in the same connector typically means different voltages and/or current capabilities are carried in the wires. If it did not matter, the connectors would not be "keyed" with round and square pegs in different locations, and slots and other physical shapes to ensure the proper connector is inserted in the properly socket in the proper direction.

Quote:
I'm not sure if it was made to have a round peg there so it could fit different plugs or not.
They are not!

The thing that is variable with these type connectors is the 6+2 setup where you can break off and not use the +2 portion.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...-pin&FORM=IGRE

If you have applied power, you may have already destroyed your graphics card, motherboard, CPU, or power supply, or all 4! :(

Old 02-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #9
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

I'm confused.....in post #7 OP states: "my EVGA PSU came with" ..... then later on in the post he states; "The psu that came with my computer". So, is there 2 different PSU's? Are PSU's country specific when ordering?
Old 02-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
Are PSU's country specific when ordering?
Yes. But these days, most PSUs are auto-sensing when it comes to input voltage (120 vs 240VAC, for example). So the only real difference is the power cable because of the connector needed for the wall outlet in that respective country.

Even if not auto-sensing, there usually is a input voltage selector on the back. It just does not make economical sense to manufacture power supplies that are not "universal" these days.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #11
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlesSnedHlep View Post
Hello all, I recently purchased this psu to replace my dying one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The G3, 550W. Everything hooked up perfectly. The Motherboard cables, the cpu cables and all that, but when I got to the pcie cable to connect to my graphics card, it wouldn't fit. It turns out the cable is wrong for my card and the pins don't match. Pics:
The plug on my graphics card:Attachment 318918
The plug on the cable: Attachment 318920
I don't know what type of cable I would need for this but I read it would have to be from EVGA or be made exactly like their's if I don't want to fry my graphics card. EVGA seems to only sell their cables in giant packs of 70 dollars or so. So my question is this: Do you know of an EVGA cable I could buy anywhere that would fit, or one that is made just like their's that would?
PS. Sorry for really crummy format and pictures. I'm on mobile and pictures were also taken with mobile.
From what I'm seeing on that photo of the plug on the cable, it is the right one and it fits the socket on the gpu card IF you flip over the detachable 2-pin plug!
Old 02-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #12
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
From what I'm seeing on that photo of the plug on the cable, it is the right one and it fits the socket on the gpu card IF you flip over the detachable 2-pin plug!
???

If you look at the first two images in my link above and compare the EPS-12V connector with the 8-pin connector, you will see flipping connectors over does NOT put the correct voltage/ground in the right place. And if you look at the enlarged image of the OP's connector, you will see the 2 pins on the 2-pin portion are not square. They both have rounded corners which means they are NOT designed to flipped over.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #13
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post
???

If you look at the first two images in my link above and compare the EPS-12V connector with the 8-pin connector, you will see flipping connectors over does NOT put the correct voltage/ground in the right place. And if you look at the enlarged image of the OP's connector, you will see the 2 pins on the 2-pin portion are not square. They both have rounded corners which means they are NOT designed to flipped over.
I'm seeing something else when I look at OP's images. I'm seeing the 2-pin plug has a square and a rounded pin. Perhaps it's the angle of the image, but that's what I'm seeing. Also, the EPS-12V connector is NOT interchangeable with the GPU/VGA 8-pin connector. I hope I'm making myself clear here.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #14
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

There's a good pinout diagram found here https://superuser.com/questions/7783...ower-connector distinguishing the 8pin EPS12V, PCIe 6pin and 8pin PCIe connectors. It will come in very handy. Word of advice, if it doesn't fit effortlessly, don't force it in.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #15
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I'm seeing the 2-pin plug has a square and a rounded pin.
Right. And noting the rounded pin is not really round, but has 2 rounded corners and 2 square corners, how can the two-pin connector be flipped and still properly fit?

And of course, it is not just about physical fit, but the electrical characteristics of the voltage applied to the wire in each pin too.
Quote:
Also, the EPS-12V connector is NOT interchangeable with the GPU/VGA 8-pin connector.
Right!

Some common sense needs to prevail here. It costs a lot more money, in terms of logistics, to inventory and package 2 different cables with every power supply, if one will do. It also costs a lot more money, in terms of inventory, design, labeling and assembly of every power supply to use two different connectors, if one will do. It costs more money to write and print user guides (in multiple languages) with two cables.

Considering companies like Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI and others make both motherboards and graphics cards, it costs them a lot more, in terms of logistics, to keep two parts in inventory compared to just one.

Sure, we're talking pennies but considering there are 100s of millions of new PC sales every year, and millions and millions of self-builders building and upgrading computers every year, those pennies add up quick.

So if different cables and associated PSU, graphics card and motherboard connectors were not needed, they would not be there.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #16
Registered Member

I haven't applied power yet. So... I assume it wouldn't work to just not plug in the 2 on the 6+2 since my original psu had them all plugged in. Which means I need to buy a cable that matches perfectly, right? But my problem with that is that EVGA only sells their cables in big, expensive bundles that don't even show what all the pegs look like. It sounds like I'm gonna have to send this psu back. Or... would it actually work to just not plug in the 2? Sorry for all the confusion, I don't know anything about computer guts.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #17
Visiting Tech

My System

No, you probably need the power. Note the PCIe slots only provide up to 75W and many cards are a lot more hungry than that. And many CPUs need more power than provided through the main 24-pin connector, so they need the extra power too.

According to EVGA, that supply comes with these connectors:
1 x 24Pin ATX
1 x 8pin (4+4) EPS (CPU)
3 x 8pin (6+2) PCIE
6 x SATA
4 x Four-Pin Peripheral
1 x Floppy
So you should have all the cables you need. If you are saying you didn't get them all, then you need to contact EVGA again and tell them what you are missing.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #18
Registered Member

I have 2 of the pcie cables but one of them has 2 plugs on it for graphics cards instead of 1 like the other, so I think I have all the parts unless they literally mean 3 seperate cables. I'll contact them and see but I'll keep this open just in case.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #19
Visiting Tech

My System

If you mean it is a splitter ("Y") cable like this, that should be fine too.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #20
Registered Member

I was just told by EVGA that the rounded pegs are meant to be able to go in the square holes after emailing them about the missing cable and bringing it up.
"This would be normal as the circles will go into the squares as long as you are using the VGA cable." -EVGA
I hope this is correct.
Closed Thread