Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

HELP! PSU Popped when turning on for first time!

This is a discussion on HELP! PSU Popped when turning on for first time! within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, I hope you can help me. Last night I was putting my components together after receiving my last

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 05:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me.

Last night I was putting my components together after receiving my last part yesterday afternoon.

I had just installed everything, and I thought it was going great. I had checked the connectors were all the way in and plugged my cable into my socket. (it was the cable that came with the PSU)

I switched the wall socket on and then switched on the PSU. As soon as I switched the PSU on, there was a loud 'popping' sound and a bright, white light emanated from the PSU. I switched the unit off immediately and started worrying.

Since then, I have tried plugging in the PSU to the motherboard only, but there aren't any LEDs lit up.

Also, I didn't test any of my parts before putting it all together (clever I know, lesson learned )

I was looking to get some advice on what to do next; is the PSU faulty and will it need to be RMA'd? Am I likely to have blown any other components?

I would be extremely grateful for any advice as to what to do next.

Many thanks in advance.

Components:
PSU: Corsair RM Series 650W PSU
Processor: Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-N Gaming 5
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110
RAM: Ballistix Elite 16GB Kit (2x8GB)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015, 06:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

Sorry I meant to say the PSU appeared to "flash" when being switched on, for only a fraction of a second.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Is the PSU faulty and will it need to be RMA'd?
Yes and yes

Am I likely to have blown any other components?
Possibly, but no way to tell without first first replacing the supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

What he said ^^^

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you for your reply! Better send off an email and get it sent back. I will update this as I go.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:50 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I switched the wall socket on and then switched on the PSU. As soon as I switched the PSU on, there was a loud 'popping' sound and a bright, white light emanated from the PSU. I switched the unit off immediately and started worrying.

Since then, I have tried plugging in the PSU to the motherboard only, but there aren't any LEDs lit up.

Also, I didn't test any of my parts before putting it all together (clever I know, lesson learned )
My worry is it seems you tried the PSU again with the motherboard after you heard the pop and saw the flash. At that point, you should have unplugged the PSU from the wall, removed the PSU and called warranty support for an immediate replacement.

The better PSUs (and that is one of the better ones) are very good at protecting connected devices during a failure, but trying it again in the motherboard after the failure and internal damage in the PSU could result in further "collateral" damage. :( And catastrophic damage too if the CPU, RAM and graphics card were still mounted on the motherboard. That would be rare, but a still a distinct possibility.

It is not likely you did anything wrong during assembly as all the cables are keyed so you cannot put them in backwards - unless you use excessive force.

As far as testing your parts before assembly, how do you do that? You connect them up to the power supply and hit the switch! So same difference, and results. All you can really do before hand in visually inspect for bent pins.

FTR, Corsair used to sell nothing but top-quality PSUs. Then it seems they let their standards drop and they started using lesser quality OEMs in "some" of their supplies. But that Corsair Gold is one of the better ones and until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be some samples that don't measure up.
Closed Thread