Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Help, need to know if power supply is problem

This is a discussion on Help, need to know if power supply is problem within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Water got spilled into my computer tower last night, and i have a feeling it is the power supply that

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Water got spilled into my computer tower last night, and i have a feeling it is the power supply that is bad, but i would just like to know if anyone knows that is the real problem

When the computer first got the water in it, it turned off automatically, i tried to gently get all of the water out of the computer before i turned it back on about 15 minutes later, but the computer just turned on then off again.

I tried testing it this morning, and the 500 watt power supply that got wet does not work in my current computer, but it turns on my smaller computer that uses a 250 watt power supply for about 20 seconds before it shuts off again.

Alternatively, the 250 watt power supply does turn on my bigger computer, but nothing pops up on the screen, all the lights and fans on the tower do start up though.

Sorry for all the typing, and thanks in advance for help.

edit: im pretty sure the problem is the power supply based on what ive seen, but i need to know if that sounds like it is the only problem

im wondering if the lights and fans would turn on but not the moniter with a lower watt power supply, or if my motherboard or graphics card are shot as well

the power supply took most of the damage from the water, since with my specific tower the power supply sits in the bottom of the tower, i completely stripped my computer when it got wet and there wasnt any water on the cpu, and only a little on the graphics card and motherboard, and i dont see any caps broken or leaking on either the graphics card or motherboard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Usually the trick isn't trying to dry the parts but just leaving them sit long enough where they have to dry out by themselves and I would bet there is no way you could yourself properly dry out the psu so I would bet it needs replacement and lets hope you didn't damage the other system by even trying it.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Emeritus

You could let it sir for a few days to let it dry thoroughly bit I'm betting it's trashed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

i just got a new power supply, and the computer is turning on, but still no power coming to the monitor, and it restarts every like 10 seconds
Old 11-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Sounds like the psu damaged more than just itself and I would bet the board is now bad too.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Sounds like the psu damaged more than just itself and I would bet the board is now bad too.
I would second that
Old 11-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #7
Emeritus

And a third ^
Remove all the RAM and boot the PC. Listen for any beep codes from the Mobo speaker. If no beeps are heard the Mobo is probably faulty.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
Registered Member

It is the motherboard, i took out the ram and heard no beeps, and i checked the processor by removing the fan and turning it on, and the cpu was getting warm, not sure if my graphics card will work when i put in the new motherboard, but the next problem i need to fix is the board obviously lol
Old 11-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #9
Emeritus

Best of luck and please keep us updated.

Closed Thread