Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Help installing RAM in HP Pavilion 15-b119wm

This is a discussion on Help installing RAM in HP Pavilion 15-b119wm within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been online since '98 and I think I am fairly computer literate esp about utilities as I like to

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 03:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've been online since '98 and I think I am fairly computer literate esp about utilities as I like to try stuff just to see how it works and what it does but I'm not as familiar with the 'hardware' aspects. I have done a few things with my desktop like adding RAM & changing the CPU Fan (not heatsink). I got this laptop brand new back in Aug of 2013 and it seems to be a more daunting task than the desktop as far as opening it up and changing or adding something.

A few weeks ago I ran the memory upgrade scan at Crucial.com and bought Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1866 SODIMM : CT4326831 thinking it shouldn't be that hard to add it myself esp since I figured I could find a video online detailing it. Well, now that I have it, it turns out that I cannot find a video detailing how to do it in my specific laptop.

I do find quite a few other videos for other models but not knowing which is closest to my specs I'm not sure how to proceed. I've also found a few videos for a version of my model for doing other things like cleaning the fan or installing an SD drive, etc. My manual does detail how to do a few things but for some reason adding memory is not one of them. On HP website the only help it shows for adding memory is for 'most' hp notebooks that have

Yes, I am overwhelmed as for some of the things it details I may need to remove, keep track of and of course put back up to 79 screws. I just can't afford to mess up my laptop nor pay someone else to install it. Plus I need to learn how to do it, then I won't be as anxious about it. I just need some clear direction and guidance. I have read the 'general' guides at sites like PCWorld. The ones at makeuseof.com and at dummies.com only provides instructions for those that have a memory module slot on the bottom of the laptop. Of course mine isn't that simple. I'd just really appreciate something more detailed and step-by-step for my particular model laptop.

I guess I am hoping someone that knows how to do this could either guide me in doing it or point me to somewhere that could. I would really love to be able to SEE a video of it but I'm pretty familiar with searching google and so far I haven't been able to find one for my exact model.

I have some other stuff I need help with as well but I figured I'd start here first. Thank you so much for your time and help. Have a blessed day! Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Don't worry....it's not that overwhelming. First thing you need to do is find the compartment on the back that holds the RAM. Generally, there are only 4 tiny screws holding the cover plate on. Remove the plate cover completely and then you should see the RAM and an extra RAM slot.

The first thing you need to do is make sure the RAM your getting is compatible with the laptop....do that from HP's RAM QVC list.

The procedure to remove and install is the same like any other video for a laptop....it's no biggy.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

I appreciate you replying but I don't think there is a panel on the bottom of this one. I'm attaching a pic I just took of the bottom. Please do correct me if I am wrong and let me know where this panel is. Thank you. Amanda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-29-16 Back of HP Pavilion 25-b119wm Resized.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	273257  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 04:01 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi looks like you will need to disassemble the laptop to get to the modules. Go here and select users guide then maintenance and service guide. it will tell you how to do it. HP Pavilion 15-b119wm Sleekbook Manuals | HP® Customer Support

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:10 AM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

I see what you mean....I hate those self-contained units. It makes it a PITA to work on.

Nice catch/find oscer1 with the service guide.

It can be done...it's a real pain, trust me.....but if you're not comfortable with doing that you can always take to a local PC shop for service...if you don't mind paying for it.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:52 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thank you oscer1 I appreciate it. I'll check it out tomorrow. Have a blessed night. Amanda
Old 03-01-2016, 05:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscer1 View Post
Hi looks like you will need to disassemble the laptop to get to the modules. Go here and select users guide then maintenance and service guide. it will tell you how to do it. HP Pavilion 15-b119wm Sleekbook Manuals | HP® Customer Support
thank you for this link, similar to Amanda, I'm looking to upgrade the RAM on this same laptop. looks like it's more of a weekend than a weeknight project for me.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #8
Registered Member

Oscer1 I appreciate the manual and I have gone over it. I want to make sure I understand what it is saying. "There may be as many as 79 screws that must be removed, replaced, or loosened when servicing the computer. Make special note of each screw and screw lock size and location during removal and replacement." Accordingly it looks like I'm going to have to take out the battery, keyboard, top cover, hard drive, USB board, WLAN & the system board to then be able:
"To add or replace a memory module:
1. Turn the system board upside down to access the memory module.
2. Spread the retention clips (1) on each side of the memory module slot to release the memory module. (The memory module tilts up.)"

Did I read that right? I'm just wondering. That seems like you have to go around your elbow to get to your knee or something like that.

Is that why it says:
"IMPORTANT: The user-replaceable parts for this computer are:
● AC adapter
● Battery
● Keyboard
For all parts that are not user-replaceable, only HP authorized service providers should perform the removal and replacement procedures described here. Accessing the internal part could damage the computer or void the warranty."

Anyway, I guess I just need reassurance that I am reading this correctly. It definitely gives me a different perspective on the local computer shop charging $50 to do it but I think I owe it to myself to learn how to do these things. I might even have fun. I appreciate your time and help once again. Amanda
Old 03-01-2016, 06:49 PM   #9
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

hi yep you read it correctly. if your going to try to do this yourself print out the instructions and make sure you mark where every screw goes so you don't get them mixed up. and take your time be careful with all the connections you will have to take off.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #10
Registered Member

*Gulp* Yes sir! Thank you. Amanda
Closed Thread