Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Have to press power button many times to boot

This is a discussion on Have to press power button many times to boot within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, I built my first PC this year and it basically was a nightmare. Basically I was not able

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone, I built my first PC this year and it basically was a nightmare. Basically I was not able to boot due to ram issues. I had to take it to the shop and they told me they had to unlock the motherboard for the ram to be compatible. Its a bit complex since I'm currently studying abroad and this PC was built in my home country so far I have had two holidays to go back and play it. The most recent time I went back I found out that one of my ram is dead so I bought a replacement. Now I have to press the power button 2-3 times before it can successfully boot. I was on a windows 8.1 so I thought updating to 10 would help. It didn't. I enabled fast boot in the bios but no change. Seriously I spent almost 1200 US dollar and its not even one year yet is my PSU or motherboard damaged already? Im using a 3 plug adapter for my PSU since my country uses the two plug socket. Should I buy a new ram to since maybe one of the current ram is faulty? will that help. I tried booting up with only one ram and it seems to boot immediately. Originally the ram was a pair of 4gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, the replacement was the 8gb Hyperfury x DDR4. I have even tried to swap the ram in different modules didn't work. So currently, it is 12 GB with two ram sticks on different colour modules. One interesting though is I can't use the same colour module this means only a combination of black and grey works. Black and black or grey and grey doesnt work.

Essentially, once its booted theres no problem. I left it on for 2 days straight just to test and it seemed fine. The issue lies in the number of times I have to press the button to boot specifically after I left it shut down for a long time. Most of the components are still under warranty but I bought them from other countries like literally physically going to a shop and buy it so its almost an impossible solution.

Tldr: need to press the power button multiple times to boot. Once its booted it ran fine. All components are less than a year old.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB Nitro Video Card Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 24.0" 60Hz Monitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2016, 04:16 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
I tried booting up with only one ram and it seems to boot immediately.
There goes your answer. It's strongly recommended to match the same make and model of RAM, and consult the motherboard's manual for supported memory configuration (slot designation among other information). I'll have a look at the manual later on and update accordingly, but I still don't understand what you mean by "unlock the motherboard" so that it could support the first modules. I'm sure there's a list of supported brands and models of ram on Gigabyte's website, consult it when buying ram.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
There goes your answer. It's strongly recommended to match the same make and model of RAM, and consult the motherboard's manual for supported memory configuration (slot designation among other information). I'll have a look at the manual later on and update accordingly, but I still don't understand what you mean by "unlock the motherboard" so that it could support the first modules. I'm sure there's a list of supported brands and models of ram on Gigabyte's website, consult it when buying ram.
Thanks for the reply. Is there anyway to make it more stable then maybe set the timings of the ram to be on the same number. Also I haven't really checked if that stick is really dead or not. I have tried inserting it with the 8gb stick but it didn't boot however I havent tried using it by itself and booting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2016, 11:27 PM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Here is the Qualified Vendor List (QVL) for your motherboard's memory: download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z170-hd3p.pdf and the manual you can download from GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1151 - GA-Z170-HD3P (rev. 1.0)

Take note of the footnotes at the bottom of the QVL. This is not to say that other brands or models of memory not listed in the QVL will not work, but high performance gaming mobos can be quite picky when it comes to memory, especially when you're mixing different models, capacity, speeds and chips.

You mentioned that it powers up instantly when using one module, but you didn't say which one; one of the 4GB sticks or the 8GB one? I've seen computers refuse to boot with two sticks of the same brand, capacity and speed, yet boot just fine with each stick individually, the only difference between them being their product numbers (and perhaps chip). It can be nerve wrecking to try and troubleshoot such cases, before you eventually solve it with a set of identical modules that work flawlessly.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

As stated above read your manual as to which sockets to use for RAM placement. Looking at the manual, if you count the RAM slots starting with the one closest to the CPU they are numbered 4, 2, 3, 1. Your board has two RAM channels. Channel A is slot 2 and 4, channel B is slot 1 and 3. If you are using two sticks of RAM you want to fill slot 1 and 2 or slot 3 and 4 together. This will enable both channels to run. It is recommend to use the same type of RAM on the same colored sockets.

In addition there are many settings regarding RAM in your BIOS. Again I would recommend reading your manual. One to pay attention to is memory boot mode. This should be set to disable fast boot. This allows the RAM to be trained during every boot.I think you are failing cold training but passing warm training currently. This is why you have to press the power button many times and then it will boot.

Corsair has a lifetime warranty might want to look into it.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is the Qualified Vendor List (QVL) for your motherboard's memory: download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z170-hd3p.pdf and the manual you can download from GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1151 - GA-Z170-HD3P (rev. 1.0)

Take note of the footnotes at the bottom of the QVL. This is not to say that other brands or models of memory not listed in the QVL will not work, but high performance gaming mobos can be quite picky when it comes to memory, especially when you're mixing different models, capacity, speeds and chips.

You mentioned that it powers up instantly when using one module, but you didn't say which one; one of the 4GB sticks or the 8GB one? I've seen computers refuse to boot with two sticks of the same brand, capacity and speed, yet boot just fine with each stick individually, the only difference between them being their product numbers (and perhaps chip). It can be nerve wrecking to try and troubleshoot such cases, before you eventually solve it with a set of identical modules that work flawlessly.
Thanks so much for the detailed answer. the 8gb was the one I tried. I haven't tried the 4gb though.Thing is Im still abroad won't get to go back home until February but I'm suspecting maybe even the one I thought was broken isn't really broken. I hope it still works and maybe I can get 20GB.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:51 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimboV View Post
As stated above read your manual as to which sockets to use for RAM placement. Looking at the manual, if you count the RAM slots starting with the one closest to the CPU they are numbered 4, 2, 3, 1. Your board has two RAM channels. Channel A is slot 2 and 4, channel B is slot 1 and 3. If you are using two sticks of RAM you want to fill slot 1 and 2 or slot 3 and 4 together. This will enable both channels to run. It is recommend to use the same type of RAM on the same colored sockets.

In addition there are many settings regarding RAM in your BIOS. Again I would recommend reading your manual. One to pay attention to is memory boot mode. This should be set to disable fast boot. This allows the RAM to be trained during every boot.I think you are failing cold training but passing warm training currently. This is why you have to press the power button many times and then it will boot.

Wow man thanks for the detailed yet simple info. Maybe the one I thought was broken isn't really broken. Maybe I could insert single 8gb stick on 1 and the 2 Corsair 4gb on 2 and 3 (same color module same RAM colour). Ill definitely change the fast boot via bios thing is I'm still abroad won't get to go home until February.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:35 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ing17 View Post
Thanks so much for the detailed answer. the 8gb was the one I tried. I haven't tried the 4gb though.Thing is Im still abroad won't get to go back home until February but I'm suspecting maybe even the one I thought was broken isn't really broken. I hope it still works and maybe I can get 20GB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimboV View Post

Hi, I told people back home to try this. Unfortunately it still wouldnt work. Have to hold the power button to boot. Even tried resetting to default in BIOS still no luck anymore suggestion?
Old 11-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:

Hi I thought it would fire up instantly with one ram but after extensive testing it wasn't the case. I tried booting up consecutively with one ram but it wont boot with one power press. Anymore solution? I have reset to default in BIOS as well no luck with that
Closed Thread