Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Good power supply?

This is a discussion on Good power supply? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am thinking of getting this power supply. It is a XFX Core Edition PRO 650W ... Is this a

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am thinking of getting this power supply. It is a XFX Core Edition PRO 650W ... Is this a good choice?

I was also looking at the 550 watt one, but this 650 watt one is $20 more, and I think it would last longer

This is the 550w one
Newegg.com - XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

and this is the 650w one
Newegg.com - XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-NLB9) 650W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Which one should I get?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

I don't know what other components do you have, and how much power they need, but keep in mind that 550 W is just above average, which is about 500. If you want to buy massive graphics card and other cards, you will need more power than 550. I'd advise you to buy better power source for future upgrades.
Regards.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Both of them is excellent, but like liamm said we don't know what components you have so its hard to know which one will cover your needs.
However as the 650W is only $20 more I would go for that one and it would help to ensure you have more then enough power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

Oh I should have put my system specs... But I am thinking for the future as well..

Right now I have a no-name 550 watt PSU
intel core 2 quad Q8200
EVGA Nvidia GTS 450
Asus P5K motherboard (P35 chipset)
4gb PC6400 ram
2 SATA hard drives (once I get the new PSU I will be putting in a 3rd hard drive)
and I will be putting in a blue ray burner too.

I have the hard drive and blue ray burner already, but I don't have enough SATA power connectors right now on my current power supply. (let alone power)

So I will prolly go for the 650 watt one.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Post the full spec of your machine ie mobo,ram,cpu,hdd,graphics card,optical drive etc then the folks here will be better placed to advise

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Post the full spec of your machine ie mobo,ram,cpu,hdd,graphics card,optical drive etc then the folks here will be better placed to advise
I just did its in the post above
Old 07-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Yeah lol we both posted about the same time thanks

Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Both the power supplies you listed will actually be sufficent enough for your current system.
But for future upgrades and I am going to assume you won't be using your current system forever, then the 650W is really the best choice.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Just for future reference we have a sticky on the selection of power supplys https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...on-192217.html

Old 07-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Emeritus

550W minimum for the GTS450. The 650W won't do any harm and gives you a little headroom for future upgrades.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

If you're think of getting a better videocard down the line, then I'd go for the 650w PSU or better still depending on what videocard you get a 750w version. Something like this 750w PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Old 07-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

Come on guys, you can't be serious by recommending 650 or even 750 watts.
550W is more than enough for this system.

Intel Core i7-870 @ 3,53 GHz + GTS 450: 149W under load
Test: ZOTAC GeForce GTS 450 Zone Edition

Intel i5 760 + GTS 450: 115W under load
ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU OC Video Card | ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU OC,GeForce GTS 450,Video Card,Benchmarks,Graphics,Performance,Review,Steven Iglesias-Hearst,ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU OC Video Card Benchmark Graphics Performance Review by Steven Iglesias-He

Even a 550W PSU never comes to best efficiency range with the system above.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Held213, I will not get into another discussion/argument with you about power supplies.
However as I already stated the 550W power supply he listed will work perfectly fine with his system and I personally will not recommend going any less then 550W for any system and thats my opinion.

And if he do plans to do future upgrades I personally would go for the 650W as its only $20 more or as Johnny1982 said the 750W.
So yes we are serious about recommending 650 or 750W and you can either accept that or go elsewhere.

You have your opinion and thats fine but in the end its up to the thread starter and if he do choose to buy something more then 550W then that is his choice and we have to accept that.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #14
Registered Member

A good 400W CPU is way, way enough for that small system, even if you do your absolute worst crazy batman load and furmark your GPU, while prime95ing your CPU .. you'll not even get close to 400W, not even remotly. In fact, you'll be so far off that number, that a much smaller PSU would suffice, but they're hard to find with good quality.

That said, a seasonicdesign based Antec 400W HCG will fullfill your every need by far. 550W is already way too much, no matter what Nvidia says (they always spec way to far up, to make sure nobody ever has any issue, no matter what system he uses) and 650W complete overkill (more than 3 times of what you actually need), actually driving your system mostly outside the most efficient range of the PSU, depending on the 80 Plus grade you get. In idle for sure, under load you're near the lower limit for that.

Should you consider extreme upgrades in the near future, like starting to use SLI/CF etc and also heavyly OC your system, 650W is okay.

For reference, see articles on Anandtech/Hardware Secrets or any other site with in-depth knowledge on electronics.

Should your shop possibilities limit you hard and you only have access to overpriced 400W CPU's, the upgrade upwards might be considered. But the named Antec is really good and about 45 Euros and there's no high quality 650W PSU available at that price, not even remotely. A good 650W PSU will of course work as well, it's just pointless to shell out the money for it.

Just my 0.02 cent.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
So yes we are serious about recommending 650 or 750W and you can either accept that or go elsewhere.
But even the 550W model is overpowered, the 650 or 750W are absolutely over-the-top for a 150W system. You don't buy your shirt in size XL when you need S. You might go for the M size because it might turn smaller in the washing machine, but thats it.

He will save $25 by taking the 550W version. And for me, a good recommendation also includes the price factor. The price is a main part of buying decisions, so why paying more then necessary?
Old 07-06-2012, 03:30 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
However as I already stated the 550W power supply he listed will work perfectly fine with his system and I personally will not recommend going any less then 550W for any system and thats my opinion.
There are three points that speeks against a bigger PSU:
first: a bigger PSU is more expansive
second: a bigger PSU is less efficient (under low load, wich is something that's often used)
and the third: a bigger PSU is more noisier at any given point. Of course that can only happen when the PSU manufacturer uses different speed grades for a PSU lineup. Wich most american companys don't.
But some germans do :)
I've seen at least three different speedgrades of fans for one PSU lineup. One slow one for small PSUs (like 1000 to 1500 rpm) and that goes up to 2800rpm. So you won't use a 1200W PSU as it's pretty damn load at any given moment. You may want to use a 400W PSU instead.

Quote:
And if he do plans to do future upgrades I personally would go for the 650W as its only $20 more or as Johnny1982 said the 750W.
Only 20 bucks? You know what you could do with 20 bucks?
So why spend it on a PSU, when not needed?
For 20 bucks you could get an awful lot of icecream. I think that's more useful in summer. Or sunscreen. Or something else you may need. A bigger PSU he does not need.

Quote:
Why so aggressive? Why not to listen to experiences others have with lower wattage PSUs?
And yes, I'm no american. But I've seen what's sold in Germany by a manufacturer. And it may surprise you: the most interesting point is the ~550W Range with +/- 150W. A 750W PSU doesn't sell that well here in Germany, a 550W PSU sells better. And there's a reason be quiet does 550W Dark Power Pro again. There was a time this series startet at 750W...

Quote:
You have your opinion and thats fine but in the end its up to the thread starter and if he do choose to buy something more then 550W then that is his choice and we have to accept that.
Yeah, but we shoudn't tell the one asking for our help anything else but the truth. And the truth is that a high End 550W PSU is able to power two HD4870X2 with a 6core AMD Phenom CPU in heaven benchmark (don't know if I started prime too).
Though, that's nothing I'd recomend in the long run but it is possible.

And to be mean, here are some power consumption figures or to be really mean:
here is an article from xbit labs about how much power we really need.
It's a little older, but they barely managed to break the 500W barrier - with furmark and prime! And a pair of GT200 GPUs (GTX295)...
Old 07-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Any computer with a PCIE card, our minimum recommendation is 550w. The only time we will recommend something smaller is if the system is going to use integrated graphics.

Stefan Payne, Held213, and voon. You may not agree with this, but that is what we have all decided as a team.

Please do not turn anymore threads into an arguing match.

Thank you
Old 07-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #18
Emeritus

The OP ask about two specific PSU's. The OP was informed that both of the XFX units are top quality and either would be a good choice for his present hardware.
Now we will refrain from posting until the OP returns with any question/concerns about the posted choices or any provided information.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #19
Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
There are three points that speeks against a bigger PSU:
first: a bigger PSU is more expansive
When it comes to a good quality power supply expense should be the last thing you think about.

Quote:
second: a bigger PSU is less efficient (under low load, wich is something that's often used)
It depneds on how much wattage that psu has to become less efficient. 550w and going for an 800w would be ok but going beyond that then efficiency would come into play.

Quote:
and the third: a bigger PSU is more noisier at any given point. Of course that can only happen when the PSU manufacturer uses different speed grades for a PSU lineup. Wich most american companys don't.
But some germans do :)
Again this is down to quality of the power supply a 500w seasonic m12 is no less nosier than a seasonic x series 1200w unless the full 1200w is being used.

Quote:
I've seen at least three different speedgrades of fans for one PSU lineup. One slow one for small PSUs (like 1000 to 1500 rpm) and that goes up to 2800rpm. So you won't use a 1200W PSU as it's pretty damn load at any given moment. You may want to use a 400W PSU instead.
Not sure of your point here, good quality power supplies will use variable speeds and some power supplies can rev up the fan to 3800.

Quote:
Only 20 bucks? You know what you could do with 20 bucks?
So why spend it on a PSU, when not needed?
For 20 bucks you could get an awful lot of icecream. I think that's more useful in summer. Or sunscreen. Or something else you may need. A bigger PSU he does not need.
going for something a little higher means not upgrading in the future if he gets another gpu.

Quote:
Why so aggressive? Why not to listen to experiences others have with lower wattage PSUs?
And yes, I'm no american. But I've seen what's sold in Germany by a manufacturer. And it may surprise you: the most interesting point is the ~550W Range with +/- 150W. A 750W PSU doesn't sell that well here in Germany, a 550W PSU sells better. And there's a reason be quiet does 550W Dark Power Pro again. There was a time this series startet at 750W...
Why not listen to someone who used to test power supplies for a living and can categorically state that 99% of on-line power supplies reviews have been tested in perfect conditions and can be very wrong as they are not tested in 'normal' conditions.

You dont run a psu with just enough power to run your system you need to give your system room to breath and if you dont. Your going to be replacing the psu and/or components more often than you should.

Now I am not arguing as the OP needs to come back and respond to what he has been advised.
Closed Thread