Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

girlfreind unpluged did she short it

This is a discussion on girlfreind unpluged did she short it within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi all, my girl unpluged my computer and now the psu wont work. with my roomies psu in my pc

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:30 AM   #1

hi all, my girl unpluged my computer and now the psu wont work. with my roomies psu in my pc boots but the compaq screen shows then starts over then windows finally came on after several trys only to turn off and restart the process. i think that while it was on stand by when she unpluged it form the wall she shorted out my psu and she corupted a windows file. coputer is about 2 years old and never had problems with it.

psu: bestec modle ATX-250-1222/ input: 100-127v-6a
i dont know the rest of the specs because the guy i bought it from never game them to me.

thanks for help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007, 02:26 AM   #2

Hi,
Are you able to start Windows in Safe mode (with the PSU you borrowed)?

Nicholas
Old 04-19-2007, 02:29 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Welcome
The best-tec supplies are garbage.
Read the links in my sig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007, 03:43 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Two problems most likely. The power supply is most likely gone, and the CMOS needs to be cleared since you didn't shut the unit down correctly.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #5

my roommate started it on a safe mode. there were three modes to chose from and we tried all three and nothing happend. then all of a sudden it booted up parshally then restarted loding windows. after a few tries it started windows and the desktop displayed with all my icons as normal and same background and it was fine for about 5 seconds. then it went blank started agian to try and load windows. i think i do need to restet something back because every thing else seemed to work.
my main reason for writing however was to prove my girlfriend broke my computer by causing a short when she unpluged it. then she corupted files which gives me the current loading problems now that i have put in a new power supply. so if somebody could prove me right i would aprechiate an end to this fight .
Old 04-21-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

mantismatt, none of us on here are stupid enough to get between you and your girlfriend in a battle like this, so we will not talk about that. Did you clear the CMOS and see if that helps?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #7

i dont know how to do the coms thingy. if u would tell that would be greate. theres a number on my mother board a75bx-la. i dont know what brand it is other than that. but is it poassable she fried my psu from unpluging it when it was in standby mode.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

All you have to do is unplug it, take out the little motherboard battery for about ten minutes and put it back in and fire it up. When it comes up, put it to default and see what happens.
Closed Thread