Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Frying PSU mystery

This is a discussion on Frying PSU mystery within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Good day everyone! This is the 4th busted PSU unit and I am at my wits end so I decided

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 02:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

Good day everyone!
This is the 4th busted PSU unit and I am at my wits end so I decided to ask for help.
So about one and a half years ago my trusted CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W sudenly died while i was playing Pillars of Eternity. I replaced it with a cheap NOD ATX 550W which worked just fine until the PSU fan got busted and I had to replace it with a same one. After that 3 PSU's of the same model where fried over the course of a couple of months and all of them while I was playing a game and each time except the last one this caused the fuse at the main switch to pop. The thing is I managed to finish Life is Strange and Grim Fandango Remastered without a problem but 2 PSU's died while I was playing Pillars of Eternity and 1 While I was playing Ori and the blind Forest.
All this leads me to believe that my graphics card is at fault but is there any way to be sure? Should I try another graphics card and see what happens? I don't want another fried PSU and I am afraid that if the problem lies somewhere else the new card might be in danger.
My specs: CPU AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.80 GHz 4GB RAM Graphics card ATI HD 4890 1Gb 256 bit GDDR5 Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P OS Windows 7 64-bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2016, 03:07 AM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

More likely your choice o PSUs is where the fault lies, HD 4890's were power hungry we used to recommend at least 650w supplies for them.

Most cheap supplies are rated for peak power at lower then realistic temperatures for a normal PC operating environment I wouldn't expect them to last long running near full capacity in a gaming environment.

Look for something in a Seasonic(Seasonic X650, SSR-650RM or XFX TS Series P1-650G-TS3X or a Antec TP or HGC series) platform of at least 650w
Old 03-27-2016, 05:57 AM   #3
Enthusiast

My System

I agree with wrench. Cheap generic power supplies = problems. The psu should be regarded as the most important part of your system. There is no point in having a good system that is powered by rubbish. Low brand power supplies have a habit of damaging components when they die although good branded power supplies can do it they usually don't as they have ability to stop that from happening when there is a surge or when it dies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2016, 06:38 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for your replies. I have considered this possibility...but I used my CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W for at least 3 years before it got busted and, correct me if I am wrong, but Corsair is a relatively trustworthy brand.
The only thing I changed in my setup is that I added an extra HHD, a 1T western Digital but even so that was 1 year before my corsair was fried.
I could buy a better PSU but I don't want to spend money if I am not sure that the new PSU will survive.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If you overclocked, that could be relevant.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:56 AM   #6
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Good PSU''s will have a 5 year warranty you've probably already spent more buying cheap ones.

Your components can not damage a properly sized, quality supply as it will have active over voltage, over current protections built in.

Your 450VX was a Channelwell built platform that did have a 5 year warranty however it was undersized for a heavy gaming platform.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:17 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienor View Post
Thanks for your replies. I have considered this possibility...but I used my CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W for at least 3 years before it got busted and, correct me if I am wrong, but Corsair is a relatively trustworthy brand.
The only thing I changed in my setup is that I added an extra HHD, a 1T western Digital but even so that was 1 year before my corsair was fried.
I could buy a better PSU but I don't want to spend money if I am not sure that the new PSU will survive.
Actually no, where Corsair used to be an excellent brand you have to understand Corsair is a company that makes nothing themselves and where they used to be made by Seasonic, a top notch psu maker they no longer are. Your Corsair model was actually never made by good makers as it was the exception even in the past. The others you quote are even poorer quality and the odds are your poor quality psus damaged your video card and other components rather than the way you framed the question.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Full list here on about a dozen pages: Who's Who In Power Supplies: Brands, Labels, And OEMs - Manufacturers, Designers, And Labels

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #9
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

You can watch out also for the 80+ bronze, silver, etc., certification to be sure of quality. I believe the advice is to go for 80+ Bronze as a minimum.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 04-03-2016, 01:11 AM   #10
Troubled

My System

OP do not get too caught up with the power supply police here. Though the technical data would prove that "Seasonic" and "XFX" and "Antec HCG" (all made by seasonic) are very good the forums here would have you believe that they are the only power supplies you can use in a PC don't buy into that. There are other very good power supplies Seasonic made are not the only good ones.
Closed Thread