User Tag List

Freezes

This is a discussion on Freezes within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have been experiencing full pc freezes tonight, but only when im afk so far, whilst I have been

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Hi, I have been experiencing full pc freezes tonight, but only when im afk so far, whilst I have been actively using the pc, it hasn't frozen so far, or maybe this is a coincidence.

I am trying here on my phone, whilst on pass 3 of memtest, and so far I have received 1 error, at the end of pass 2.

Last week I had a 3tb seagaye barracuda die on me, no idea if connected, but thought I should mention it.

Is that (so far) 1 error on memtest likely to be the problem?

Simon

Intel I5-3570k @3.4GHz,
Asus Sabretooth
16gb Corsair DDR3 1600 xmp
Corsait TX850 psu
Evga 980ti gtx
Seagate 250gb SSD
1tb WD black hdd
2tb WD black hdd
3tb Toshiba hdd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2017, 06:51 AM   #2
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
and so far I have received 1 error
Well, sadly, any error, even just 1, is not good and indicates bad RAM.

With 16GB, I am assuming you have 2 x 8GB (or 4 x 4GB though likely the former). I recommend you remove 1/2 your RAM and test again and hopefully, through a process of elimination, be able to isolate the problem to a single stick. Just understand that no software based tester is conclusive. RAM can test good and then fail when installed, or when paired with other RAM. That said, if errors are found, the RAM is bad.

Be sure to take the necessary ESD precautions when handling the RAM. Unplug the computer from the wall, touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching inside the case or touching the RAM to discharge any static in your body. And NEVER EVER touch the RAM's electrical contracts.

While inside your case, make sure it is clean of heat trapping dust and fans spin freely.

Quote:
Last week I had a 3tb seagaye barracuda die on me, no idea if connected, but thought I should mention it.
It may or may not be related but whenever I see multiple unexplained potential hardware problems, I always suspect power.

While not conclusive, you might check your voltages with a PSU Tester. These are good but not conclusive because they don't provide a variety of realistic loads. And they don't test for excessive ripple and other anomalies that affect computer stability. This is done by a qualified technician using an oscilloscope or power supply analyzer - sophisticated (and expensive) electronic test equipment requiring special training to operate, and a basic knowledge of electronics theory to understand the results. Therefore, conclusively testing a power supply is done in properly equipped electronics repair facilities.

You can also check your voltages with HWiNFO64 to make sure they are within the allowed 5% tolerances. But this too is not conclusive.

So for most users, the best test is to swap in a known good PSU. Also, I recommend testing your wall outlets with a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 09-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Hi, thanks for the response. Memtest actually caught a few more errors, so I took the Ram back to the shop (Corsair, so lifetime warranty, good as itwas 5 uears old).
I put the new Ram in, all working fine, went afk, and it froze again. I ran memtest on the new ram, but it was fine, so i'm guessing PSU. I'll swap it with a different one tomorrow and go afk and see how it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Hi again, swapped the PSU for a different Corsair supply that is from a different working machine. Same result, the PC freezes if I dont provide an input.

Any ideas?
Old 11-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Have you had a chance to check your voltages and temperatures? Is hibernation on or off? Check your power settings.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is to update all the drivers. The periodic freezing could be due to out of date drivers. Ii do also suspect there's a power issue but nothing wrong with covering all the bases.
Closed Thread