Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Dual Boot System Won't Boot

This is a discussion on Dual Boot System Won't Boot within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have linux and windows 7 on my amd rig. When I tried to boot up today into linux nothing

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stancestans

Old 03-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Mistake

I have linux and windows 7 on my amd rig. When I tried to boot up today into linux nothing happen. Then I tried to boot into windows. I got to the bios and set the boot to windows, instead I got a boot menu for linux, so I had it test the ram and I got a bad reading. I have two memory mod so I tried to test each one with the bootable memory test. With one memory removed it would not even boot into the bios. I tried the other stick and tried one in the two slots I am using still it will not boot up not even into the bios. All I have to go on that the memory is bad is the test linux did. Also I an hearing some kind or reoccurring sound while I am waiting for it to boot. Could it be the WD M.2 2280 250GB drive?
spirittoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2020, 12:26 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Recurring sound, as in clicking is not possible with a SSD drive, which you've mentioned in your post, so most likely the SSD seems ok. Can you explain the characteristics of the sound ?

I know you've tested the Memory modules, can you test them again ? Try each one in each slot and see what the results are, I'm guessing you know how to insert the memory modules, if you have doubts, do check for the proper RAM module insert instructions just to avoid any issues.

tristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Please follow tristars advice first, then:
Sounds like grub is pooped. Boot from an Ubuntu linux live cd or usb and when it loads, run Boot_Repair.
xrobwx71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Thumbs Up

Wellsir ... it wasn't the memory at all. When I could not get to the bios I figure maybe it's the P/S. I replace it with a spare and I'm back in business. I type this message on the computer involved.

Thanks to all that took the time to post.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
Wellsir ... it wasn't the memory at all. When I could not get to the bios I figure maybe it's the P/S. I replace it with a spare and I'm back in business. I type this message on the computer involved.

Thanks to all that took the time to post.
You should still run a memory test because I don't see how a keyboard problem could cause memory errors. Use Memtest86 by Passmark here https://www.memtest86.com/memtest86.html or explain what you meant by a "bad reading".
xrobwx71 likes this.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Question

I don't understand where you got the keyboard problem from. I never had a problem with that.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
I don't understand where you got the keyboard problem from. I never had a problem with that.
My bad! I saw P/S and thought you were referring to a PS/2 keyboard! It's now hitting home that you are referring to Power Supply. I'm so used to seeing PSU as abbreviation for the power supply unit, so the P/S flew right past me!
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

I did mean power supply I will remember to use PSU the next time.