Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Does this mean I need a new power supply?

This is a discussion on Does this mean I need a new power supply? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I don't know much about hardware, but I'm beginning to learn since I've got a problem that has come

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi. I don't know much about hardware, but I'm beginning to learn since I've got a problem that has come up.

My computer has been shutting off randomly over the last few days. I found out that it's overheating.

I opened it up and the power supply's fan wasn't running and the CPU's temperature was like 170 degrees F and PC Probe II says my "power fan" is running at 0 RPMs...

BUT

Then it the power supply fan started working...but it's still overheating quite a bit (like 155 degrees F) and the PC probe says the power fan is still running at 0 RPMs.

So does this just mean I need to buy a new power supply? Could the problem be something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Post the make/model of the PC. If custom built post the specs

MB-CPU-RAM-GPU-PSU brand/wattage

Post the temp and voltage readings from the BIOS.

While you had it open did you blow the dust/debris from the fan/vents?
Old 10-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

PSU: I think the brand is "CHIEFMAX" (that sounds really crappy...) and the wattage is 650.

The voltage is 3.3 and currently 64 Celcius according to the Bios, but I currently have a fan pointed directly at the computer...it spikes to 80 degrees Celcius at times.

Ram: 4 gigs

GPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor

I don't know how to figure out my CPU/MB :/.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

CPU would be the AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor

MB would be the brand/model motherboard you are using.

Are there any other voltage listings in the BIOS +5v, +12V,etc

64C is too high if the PC is has been cleaned then you may need clean the

thermal paste and apply a new application.

Quote:
PSU: I think the brand is "CHIEFMAX" (that sounds really crappy...) and the wattage is 650.
You are correct it is a low quality unit
Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

MB: Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M3A78 Rev X.0x

CPU: 2.30 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core

Oh, here.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Oh, sorry, you responded while I was typing. THe Power Unit also says +5V and +12 V (it says +12 V twice.)

Also, I cleaned dust out but not all of it since I don't have an aircan right now.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #7
Emeritus

Chiefmax PSU's are basically junk so that needs to be replaced with a good quality PSU before you can work o resolving any other problems.
Are you using a dedicated GPU (Brand & Model) or Onboard Graphics?

Old 10-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Registered Member

Do you have any recommendations for power supplies? I'd like to not spend TOO much money on one.

I think this is the GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ [Display adapter]
Old 10-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
Emeritus

You should be at 650W with the 9800GTX. I understand not wanting to spend a lot of money for the PSU but keep in mind that all of your components depend on a steady supply of clean power to operate and survive.
This is acceptable: Newegg.com - SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

These are 650W SeaSonic made:
Newegg.com - XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-NLB9) 650W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Old 10-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thanks for the help, Tyree.

Are they all a universal size? Will these fit into my (standard) case?
Old 10-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
Emeritus

They should fir with no problems. Their physical size is noted in "Details".

Closed Thread