Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Does it matter which slot the memory goes?

This is a discussion on Does it matter which slot the memory goes? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I purchased a Dell Precision M7710 laptop with 8GB of RAM. Recently I purchased another 8GB chip and installed it.

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I purchased a Dell Precision M7710 laptop with 8GB of RAM. Recently I purchased another 8GB chip and installed it. I looked at the Dell manual and it has two separate areas that the RAM is held. One was labeled primary and the other was labeled secondary. The primary was the easiest to get to so I chose that path, thinking that Dell would also have installed the 1st chip in the primary area.

So I removed the battery cover, battery, the 2 screws holding the back on and then the back only to find two empty slots labeled 3 & 4 (could have been 2 & 3 if slot #1 was labeled zero. I really didn't pay that much attention). So since it would require me to remove the HDD and the keyboard to access the secondary area where Dell put the 1st chip I decided to put the 8GB chip into slot #3 in the "primary" memory area.

So now I have a chip in slot 1 and slot 3. Is this not the best thing for the computer? Is it better to fill the slots sequentially? And should I put in the extra effort to remove the chip from slot 3 and put it into slot 2?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Here is the reference to the Dell instructions. This is to remove the memory. The install new memory assumes you have done this step already, so it is the proper starting point.

Dell Precision 17 7000 series (7710) Owner's Manual
Old 05-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #3
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Are the slots labeled "Slots 1" and "Slot 3"?

You want to have the memory run in channels so ignoring labels, slots 1 and 3 would be correct. Or as they are labeled slots 1 and 2.

Is this your laptop here:

https://i.imgur.com/wxJbEVo.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Yes, that looks to be my laptop.

I put the new 8GB RAM into the upper slot. I don't know where DELL put the 8GB memory that came with the laptop, other then in the secondary section of the memory under the keyboard.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Hi Leo,

There is a free utility called CPU-Z which when run will identify which slots your RAM is installed in and also give you a wealth of other useful information about your system. Give it a try and you should have the information you need.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 05-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

There looks to be only two slots. You should be fine.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

There are 4 slots. The other two are under the keyboard. My machine came with 8GB installed and when I opened the back there was no memory in there until I installed the new chip. Now I have 16GB and it shows as 16GB in the system (15.9 avail)
Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizmo View Post
Hi Leo,

There is a free utility called CPU-Z which when run will identify which slots your RAM is installed in and also give you a wealth of other useful information about your system. Give it a try and you should have the information you need.

Nice, I have that program installed already. Here are the results. The Micron memory is the new and the Samsung is the OEM. Looks like it's in the wrong slot and I need to get under the keyboard.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

I opened the back up again. The slots were labeled A and B. I had the memory in slot A. I swapped it over to slot B and then ran CPU-Z again and got a better result. Now I'm running in dual mode.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:45 AM   #10
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

You should be all set then!
Old 05-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

I do believe so. Thanks guys.
Closed Thread