Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Does anyone have 4 gb with Asus Striker II Extreme stable?

This is a discussion on Does anyone have 4 gb with Asus Striker II Extreme stable? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Does anyone have 2x2 gb sticks with Asus Striker II Extreme running stable? This board is notorious for being picky

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Does anyone have 2x2 gb sticks with Asus Striker II Extreme running stable?

This board is notorious for being picky about the memory put into it, even if all the specifications match up exactly. I found a few striker ii extreme approved memory at newegg,

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Extreme&DEPA=0

,but will not take any chances if I cannot find someone who is using it with a board now. I am looking to go 1333mhz, I will go 1600mhz if I have to, but will have to overclock my cpu to 3.2ghz if I want a 1:1 ratio with it.

My Build currently is:

Intel Quad Core Q9550 @ 2.83 ghz
Asus Striker II Extreme
2x EvGa Nvidia GTX 280's ( SLI )
Antec TPQ 1000W PS
1TB WDC HD
Memory: (None Yet)
SupremeFX II Sound Card

I currently had a striker ii formula running 2x 2gb ocz's stable for the longest time but had to rma the formula enough times for them to send the extreme instead of the formula, now I don't know what memory to put in it. It has to be ddr3.

I would like 2gb stick builds to be posted because I am looking to up to 8gb in future.

Thanks for any information,
-Krazed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Emeritus

DDR3 RAM is flaky at best. Have you looked on the Asus site for approved RAM for that Mobo?

Old 09-26-2009, 05:24 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

always check the ram manuf's website as the ultimate verifier; then if your purchased sticks dont work they will swap sticks until you get a set that will. the motherboard manuf's will NOT do that for you

I would stick with corsair or crucial ............OCZ is very good ram, but they seem to be having alot more issues than the other two by a notable amount! DDR3 is finicky at best so be patient

youre in deep water anyway with an sli board to begin with; they are fussy as hell!

personally I would sell off that board and video cards on ebay and get ONE 295GTX and a GA-EP45-DQ6 and you will experience stability like you have never known >>>>those 790i boards were flaky as hell with DDR2 memory; using them with DDR3 is just asking for torment!

there is no game such a rig will not eat ALIVE >>>>for that matter there is no game the 9650 and one 280GTX will not rule

good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
Emeritus

Very solid advice. Sell the Mobo,RAM and one card. Get a 775 chipped Asus or Gigabyte Mobo and 2X2 GB DDR2 RAM and game on.

Closed Thread