Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Dividing ram properly in virtual memory?

This is a discussion on Dividing ram properly in virtual memory? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'd like to know how to divde my 1GB of ram in virtual memory? I'm having some gaming problems with

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #1

EEK!

I'd like to know how to divde my 1GB of ram in virtual memory? I'm having some gaming problems with Stalker and i think it's connected to virtual memory or perhaps the fact that i have an ati x1650 pro which the game "Stalker" doesn't seem to support and thus having my game freeze and must do a hard re-boot. Are there any fixes to this problem and what is the best method for virtual ram to be set at, should it be customized or manaze size by the system option?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Not sure if it will help you, but I've found that once you hit a certain point on physical memory, going over that with virtual actually hurts, (1g real +1g virtual = OK, but 1g real +1.5g virtual = not good) not sure of the why's and such, just have noticed that if I set virtual to an equal or lower value as physical after a certain point it works better.

if that doesn't help, experiment! your system may be different. check to see if any background task you have running is interfering with the game.

make sure that you have plenty of free disk space for whatever temp files the game needs, and defrag the drive prior to running it.

Also, check out to see if other people are having the same issues with the same card, check on a 'fan' board, or the official website for the game and dig through the help section or whatever they've named it.

Tip: mention OS, will help get more relevant answers from people who know that OS, I saw it in your tag, but others may not and you'll get a lot of "what OS" responses.

Ken.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to MaverickUK

Hi,

Virtual memory will actually use up disc space - it is basically RAM, but it will be stored and manipulated within the hard drive; it wont actually use up your existing RAM module.

1GB of virtual RAM is plenty for me when playing Counter-Strike: Source (infact, i never play it but i often use it to stress test my system) and i never have issues. I would suggest that your problem is possibly related to a driver issue of some sort or an underpowered PSU.

Are you able to explain the conflicts and also what you mean by the game does not 'support' your graphics card? Also can you list your full system specifications in your next post, this will help us further investigate what the issue is.

Regards,
Nick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #4

Sorry for not mentioning my systems specs in the previous message.

Here are pc peripherals:

CPU Type - AMD Athlon XP, 2000 MHz (15 x 133) 2400+
Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X-X
Motherboard Chipset - VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
System Memory - 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
Video Adapter - RV530 LE (Omega 3.8.330) (512 MB)
Video Card - ATI radeon X1650 pro (512mb) AGP
Disk Drive - WDC WD2500JB-00REA0 (232 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive - WDC WD800JB-00ETA0 (74 GB, IDE)
OS - Windows XP Home sp2
430Watts power supply thermaltake

Now as to what i'm referring to regarding the game STalker i read on other gamer forms that this game had issues when running on pc's using ATI graphic card especially the x1000 series. It just freezes up after a few mins., of game play. Hard re-boot then needs to be done to get back to desktop screen. AT one point i was able to ctrl+alt+delete and got an error message saying 0xc000012d application failed to initilize, and found out it's virtual memory involved i know this game requires some serious power but i do pass minimum specs, however i have noticed my card is heating up as well but i used ati tool and it shows normal temps so i have no clue what's the cause of these crashes.

Hope this info helps if not let me know what else you need to know.

thanks again.

Kim
Old 05-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to MaverickUK

Do you know what aspect of virtual memory is the issue? I've never came across something like this before but it's probably a client based issue anyway.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #6

Confused

i'm trying to figure out what the amounts of virtual ram should be divided into, when you right click on my computer then go into system properties select advanced then click performance then advanced and virtual memory. There you have the option of how to space out your ram I guess into either a custom option choosing minium amount and maximum or should one select system manage size option instead. Which is the better and what should the number read for 1GB or ram if i chose the custom option. This is what i'm trying to figure out.

thanks,
Closed Thread