Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Dell Studio XPS 8100 Won't Power On. Replacement PSU?

This is a discussion on Dell Studio XPS 8100 Won't Power On. Replacement PSU? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My dad's PC won't power on. No lights, no sound, nothing. It happened after what we're pretty sure was a

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill_Bright
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

My dad's PC won't power on. No lights, no sound, nothing. It happened after what we're pretty sure was a power surge in his office. Now it won't power on at all. When plugged into the power the light on the power supply in the back of the tower won't turn on, which has led us to believe the PSU needs to be replaced.

Dell doesn't seem to sell replacement PSUs for that model. According to the manual it's 350w. I'm mainly just worried about whether the voltage will be right or if there's any wiring proprietary to that Dell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

If your assumption is correct there might be more damage to the PC than just the PSU. I would hate to suggest buying a new PSU and it not be the problem. That said, I would recommend that you take it to a certified repair shop and have them do a complete diagnostic on the tower. Of course this will cost you whatever their fee is.

At least this way you would know if it was just the PSU, mobo or cpu. If it would cost effective for you to have it repaired or just buy a new one.

What I do suggest is take out the HDD and see if it can be read by another PC. If so you can save the data on it.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:17 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

While I agree this sounds like a power supply problem, I also agree with bassfisher and there could be additional damage a new supply alone will not fix.

Adding to the problem is Dell has a history of using proprietary parts. So while Google shows there are replacement supplies out there, it probably would be a good idea to have a shop verify a new supply is all you need.

For the record, the replacements I am seeing claim to be "ATX" supplies. That's a good thing as that, if true, suggests it uses industry standard supplies which means all dimensions, screw holes, cable connectors, and voltages should match up properly.

It might also be a good idea to pull the hard drive from that computer and temporarily install it as a secondary (not boot) drive in another computer, or attach it to another computer and copy off any files he does not want lost.
bassfisher6522 likes this.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread