Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Dell inspiron 5040 laptop wont power on.

This is a discussion on Dell inspiron 5040 laptop wont power on. within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I have an inspiron dell laptop (n5040 series) that is having some issues powering on. The problem initially started

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi. I have an inspiron dell laptop (n5040 series) that is having some issues powering on.

The problem initially started when I woke up the morning after disconnecting the AC because there was a thunderstorm and I didnt want anything happening to the laptop while i slept. Well, upon reconnecting the ac to the laptop, I push the power button and its not starting at all. I see there are flashing lights on the battery led and think, "ok thats fine because the ac adapter is some 3rd party rocketfish thing and has never charged the battery anyway." So I proceed to take out the battery and leave the ac adapter connected. There are no leds at all now and Still no response from the power button. I decide ok its finally time to purchace the correct ac adapter and go ahead and grab a factory dell replacement charger from online and have it shipped.

Well I got that today and still I cant get a response from the laptop without having the battery connected. But now I get one prolonged white led on the battery indicator followed by 4 amber flashes and 1 white flash, then the leds will go dark. I've tried the thing where you disconnect the battery, AC adapter, and hold the power button to purge the static power or w/e but that hasn't turned any results. I know the battery should probably be replaced but even without the battery this is the correct ac adapter for this laptop so it should work without a battery, which is what i want.

There are quite a few other issues with the laptop. For one, I have the keyboard disconnected and use an external because the built in one has all kinds of bugs like continiously moving the cursor in one direction or just certain keys not working all the time. The laptop also has a whiny fan that gets really loud. Hot or not.

Its an old junker, so if I cant get this thing to work with this brand new ac adapter im just chucking it in a corner somewhere. im not putting anymore money into it.

Is there something obvious Im not doing to make this thing power? It has never had powering issues until the night i left the ac adapter disconnected. Like i said, the old offbrand charger NEVER charged up the battery so i dont get why its acting as if it needs it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

When you turn on your laptop, do you hear noises at all? Or is the laptop complete dead when you press the power button? No lights or anything flash for just a bit?

Old 06-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

Update: I actually found the issue upon further inspection inside. There was some kind of connector with a blue tab that came unclamped at some point, and once I secured that back in place, the laptop is able to power on and function normally. I really don't know what this thing is, it's really close to the fan, but whatever it was, prevented the power button from responding at all, no noises or anything.

I'm glad I decided to take a closer look inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016, 09:05 PM   #4
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

It looks like your computer is now turning on the working fine. If so, the mods can mark this thread as "Solved".

Closed Thread