Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Dell Dimension 3000 power

This is a discussion on Dell Dimension 3000 power within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell Dim3000 desktop with an intermittent problem. Several times when power has been removed from the unit,

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #1

I have a Dell Dim3000 desktop with an intermittent problem. Several times when power has been removed from the unit, either my unplugging to move it around or when the UPS battery goes down etc, the unit will not power up. I get no lights on the front panel at all. ( I only have a power light and disk operating light) I took it to local repair shop once and when they tested it it worked fine a their place so wasn't able to get any diagnosis from them. It has happened several more times and then a few days later it fires up like nothing happened. I have checked all the cable connections, changed power cords and switched outlets. Is there any type of time delay in any of the power circuits that could cause this problem? I am at a loss. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 12:33 PM   #2

any dimension with a model # ending in 000 probably has a super cheap power supply (as well as motherboard) if a new power supply does not fix it, it may be time for a Staples run.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

It sounds like a Power Supply issue but the model number really doesn't have a lot to with the quality of the Dell supply their pretty much all the same, not the worst on the market but not the best either.
If you have a digital volt meter you can test it when it won't start> https://www.techsupportforum.com/f210...er-151526.html
Pin 14 and pin 8 are the 2 you'll need to test.
Closed Thread