Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Dell C6100 Memory Errors

This is a discussion on Dell C6100 Memory Errors within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I purchased a Dell C6100 about 1.5 years ago, with all 4 nodes, with 24g of ram each, and a

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
dr1
Registered Member

I purchased a Dell C6100 about 1.5 years ago, with all 4 nodes, with 24g of ram each, and a single 1100w(?) P/S. I've been using 2 of the nodes running linux, and they ran without a single problem for almost a year straight. I just recently moved, and now those same 2 nodes are reporting ECC errors thats causing them to lock up/lose time.

I just ran memtest86 today on one of the nodes (before I realized it was running a version that couldnt test ECC), which caused it to briefly lock up and report another error in the log, identical to the previous one. I've attached a screenshot of the error messages from both machines.

I've not opened them up just yet, I will re-seat all the ram soon and test again, the machines are in a temporary location and impossible to get at unless I take down 2 other machines at the moment.

So I guess my question is, does anyone think this could be a power supply issue? When the first machine went down I said, ok that sucks, but both of them just seems strange.

Also does anyone know if those log messages are actually reporting the exact chips in question?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170913_143859.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	312825  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2017, 02:59 AM   #2
Registered Member

I donít think this is the problem with the power supply. If the server is detecting Uncorrectable ECC, the system resets, so clearly that's bad and removing/replacing the identified node or pair ,corrects the issue.
Also, ECC isn't perfect. It's possible that the cumulative error passes ECC; that would show up as an OS crash or similar problem.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:21 AM   #3
dr1
Registered Member

The error txt did in fact point to the exact dimm slot on the board, so I replaced the chips in question. Both machines pretended they were missing a stick for a few boots, I ended up shifting all the memory around and finally got them happy again. I have 2 supposed bad sticks now that I will probably test later in another machine to find out.

I just found it very odd that I moved and suddenly 2 machines RAM went bad, mind you 2 machines that share a power supply so thats why I wondered if they werent being fried. I do run them all on a UPS, which I believe filters the power pretty well.

You'd probably think it just got jostled around from moving, but I'm overly cautious transporting my electronics, they rode in the back of my SUV carefully bundled up. So who knows. But certainly better conditions then the UPS ride the machine took to reach me.

For reference the ECC errors in linux were essentially just being logged, and I dont know if the action of all that logging going on or the errors themselves were spiking the CPU until non responsive. I didnt realize the 2nd machine suffered this problem until I suddenly received a ton of emails all at once, because it had been unreponsive for about 36 hrs. Neither machine actually crashed though. It mightve even been exaggerated by the system itself, because it has an enabled 'ECC scrubbing' option in the BIOS, I dont know if it just kept testing over and over again or what.

Just some extra info for anyone else who comes across this.
Closed Thread