Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Date of Manufacturing for RAM

This is a discussion on Date of Manufacturing for RAM within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I brought a Thinkpad March 2016. It had 4GB Ram installed. At the time of purchase, I intended to replace

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

I brought a Thinkpad March 2016. It had 4GB Ram installed. At the time of purchase, I intended to replace and to upgrade the RAM to 8GB. I brought 2 sticks of RAM (from Newegg). At the same time, I also brought replacement RAM for a Dell laptop. I replaced the RAM for the Dell. Due to laziness, I never replace the RAM in Thinkpad, but I did unpackage the RAM and wrapped them up and placed them in a bag. I am replacing the HD of the Thinkpad with a SSD now. I thought it is a good time to replace the RAM with the 2 sticks of RAM I got in 2016.

I just found out, of the 2 sticks of 4GB RAM, I actually mixed it up with the old RAM from the Dell. In other word, I tossed out one of the new 4GB RAM last year!

I am looking on line for a similar RAM. I came across this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231702

The problem is in Newegg, there are 3 separate ad for this RAM. When I looked closely, they are all made in 2013. My other stick of RAM which I got from Newegg last year has manufacture date in 2015.

Can someone please tell me mixing 2015 with 2013 version of the same type, same brand of RAM may post problems?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

As long as that memory matches what was in there, it should be fine.

To be sure that is your memory type, you can use Crucial's memory finder tool to find the type of memory needed:

Compatible Memory - RAM & SSD Advisor Tool | Crucial.com
Old 08-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Do note that many computers that came from the factory with 4GB or less of RAM came with 32-bit Windows installed. To fully utilize more than 4GB of RAM, you must have a 64-bit operating system installed.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 10:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

@Bill,
Thanks for the tips. The OS in my Thinkpad is Win10Pro, 64-bits. So I am safe. Based on Masterchiefxx17's feedback, I brought the RAM from Newegg today (to replace the one I tossed out by mistake!).
Old 08-30-2017, 01:17 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorcererStone View Post
@Bill,
Thanks for the tips. The OS in my Thinkpad is Win10Pro, 64-bits. So I am safe. Based on Masterchiefxx17's feedback, I brought the RAM from Newegg today (to replace the one I tossed out by mistake!).
FYI: Due to constantly getting requests to upgrade systems, I would never "toss out" functional RAM! Quoting from an article I read years ago, "All RAM has value." As long as it is not defective, there is always someone who can use RAM in an upgrade situation. You may have been able to easily recoup at least some of the cost of your upgrade by offering the removed RAM.

Many laptops with 32 bit O/S only came with 2GB, but with O/S upgrades (MS 8.x, 10.x) can use the additional 2GB to round out their system capacity, even if that is the only maximum amount supported in BIOS.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Closed Thread