Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

CX PSU - Fan Failure?

This is a discussion on CX PSU - Fan Failure? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. PSU modem is a CX600. I've had it since early 2012. Recently (as well as last year, but only a

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

PSU modem is a CX600. I've had it since early 2012.

Recently (as well as last year, but only a few times) when it has been cold, the primary power supply fan makes a grinding noise when spinning. This only lasts a few minutes until, what I believe, the system warms up a little bit. On colder days from boot, it sometimes takes 2 to 3 minutes for the noise to stop.

I think the bearings may be failing. However, the unit is mounted in such a way that the fan is upside down.. So I have reason to believe the stress of gravity might be causing the bearings to have more friction when they are cold.

Aside from noise when the system is cold, I've had no issues with it. Some places suggest to oil it with sewing machine oil... But I'd rather not do that and risk breaking it more than it may already be.

Suggestions? Ignore it until it keeps making noise, even when warm, or there is fan failure? Or perhaps replace the psu?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Certainly do not put sewing machine oil inside the power supply.

I recommend you claim warranty on the product to have the fan replaced.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:43 AM   #3
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Sounds reasonable. Can you suggest any sort of fix if the unit is no longer under warranty, aside from buying a new unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2016, 05:34 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

You can lubricate the fan bearings.....it's a pretty lengthy process. You'll have to power down and unplug everything, remove the power supply, remove the power supply body housing to access the fan. On the fan there is a sticker, carefully lift off the sticker with out tearing it. Then place 2 drops of sewing machine oil or I prefer 3 in 1 oil and that should take care if the noise.

After doing this; you've learned how to take apart the PSU housing and now you can order a fan and replace it your self or order a new on. Given the age of this PSU and the brand type...I would definitely recommend ordering a new one. I suggest Seasonic, Antec, EVGA or Corsair RM, HX or AX series....stay away from the CX-M and CS series.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #5
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Unless you can get to the fan without messing with the internals of the PSU, I'm going to recommend that you do not open up the PSU. The internal electrical parts can cause human damage or even death.

I'm going to recommend that you pick up a new unit if its out of warranty.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Thanks for the advise. I'll see if I can dab some oil in it, otherwise I'll be ordering a new one.

Cheers
Closed Thread