Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Custom memory fan made from case fan?

This is a discussion on Custom memory fan made from case fan? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was looking around newegg for a decent cooling fan for RAM. I've noticed that even with the heatspreader my

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Troubled

My System

I was looking around newegg for a decent cooling fan for RAM. I've noticed that even with the heatspreader my 2x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066 gets quite hot and I was thinking it might be worthwhile to get a fan for my memory. However, most of the memory fans on Newegg look really shoddy, or like they wouldn't fit with my graphics card. So I was wondering: is it possible to turn an 80mm case fan into a memory fan? I have a generic one from my old case and I don't have anywhere to mount it in my new one. If this is possible, how should I mount it such that it doesn't get in the way of my graphics card (Sapphire Radeon HD4870). I have an ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131299 and my GPU is in the first PCIe x16 slot. I have an Antec 900 case with side fan. I also have a rather large CPU Thermaltake V1 heatsink, which probably shouldn't get in the way the way it's oriented now, but it's something to keep in mind. Also, should the fan blow down onto the RAM or blow air out from it? Finally, would this even be worth doing? Would my RAM be much cooler from just an 80mm fan? It is/will be mildly overclocked (it's at 1120MHz, 2.14V, will be at something similar after I install my new CPU) so I'd feel safer with some more cooling.

So is this possible? Worthwhile? How would I go about doing this? Thanks for your help. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

This will work with your ram as well:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835704001
Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Troubled

My System

I looked at that, but it's way too expensive compared to using a (essentially free) case fan. Also some of the reviewers raised concerns that it didn't hold on very tightly. Finally I don't know if just one would cover both my memory modules, since the arrangement is RAM stick, empty slot, small space, second stick, empty slot. That looks like it might just cover two adjacent slots, though I don't really have anything for a sense of scale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Emeritus

OC'ing makes heat. Is the RAM overheating to where it is causing problems?
My best advice, if you have no place to mount a cooling device for the RAM--back off the OC, install case fans/s, or get a case with better cooling.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
Troubled

My System

No, not to the point of causing problems. My case has plenty of cooling, it's an Antec 900 with a side fan, and keep everything on high, so no problems there. The RAM just gets a little warm, for instance if I leave my case open and play a game for a while, then place my hand near different components, the air right around my RAM is about 10F hotter than the air coming through my CPU heatsink, though it's much cooler than my GPU.

This isn't really something I *need*, but it might be nice. I wouldn't go and buy a RAM fan, not for $25, but if there's a way to mount this old 80mm fan over the RAM without too much trouble I'd do that. Since my computer is going to be in pieces for a while while I install my new components it would seem to be the best opportunity.

Just any idea of how to do it would be nice.
Closed Thread