Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Crash when using 2 sticks of ram

This is a discussion on Crash when using 2 sticks of ram within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, Ok so i built my new Rig about a month ago, ill start with the specs Core 2

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys,
Ok so i built my new Rig about a month ago, ill start with the specs
Core 2 Quad Q9400
Asus P5P43TD Mobo
2 x Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G
ATI HD 5750 1GB
Psu : PowerCase 650W 12V+1 = 18A 12V+2 = 18A 80% efficency

Ok so basically when i put my computer together it worked fine until it randomly crashed every 10-20 minutes. After eliminating drivers i discoverd it was one of the ram sticks as it came up faulty in a mem test. So fair enough i claimed through warrenty and was running my comuter on 1 2GB stick for about 3 weeks with no problems. I played the latest games etc with no crashes or issues at all. So i received my new stick today and installed it straight away. AND what do you know, crashes constantly again! I am 100% sure that it is installed in the proper configuration as i have tried every type of config to install and still no luck. Is it the MoBo, i mean what are the chances of getting another faulty stick? Why is it that it runs fine on one but not on two?

Thanks in Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Are you overclocking?

What is the Memory voltage set to in the BIOS?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hey Mate,

I have not done any overclocking, but the motherbaord has all the ai tweaker etc etc in bios for overclocking but everything is set to Auto i havn't touched anything myself. Using CPU-Z tells me the memory voltage on the 1 stick im using atm is 1.50V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
Registered Member

I might add that i have only ever put them both in on the dual channel setting. Is it possible that because both sticks may not be from the same manufacturer that they arnt working in dual channel? should i try putting the sticks next to each other not utilising the dual channel setting? although i would like too, these sticks were quite expensive and i want to utilise what i paid if you get me.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

see if you can borrow a quality 80+ 650w to try in it

the one you have is 70+ not 80+ and just above junk status

https://www.techsupportforum.com/f210...on-192217.html

https://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-corsair...00670-NSW.html

Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hey,
Junk status, cmon guys its not that bad its defintely adequate for my rig. But i have a new update for you, Ive been running both sticks of ram in a non dual channel config for about 2-3 hours now with no crashes! usually they happen about every 10-20 minutes. All the previous times i had them both in on the dual channel mode and i suspect that caused it to crash. So why wouldnt it work in dual channel? is it because it wasnt from a kit i bought two single ones perhaps? i would still like to utilise dual channel.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

when you look at the price of it compared to a quality supply that should tell you a lot towards it's quality

todays computers demand 80+

70+ does not cut it

it can happen with individual sticks,with matching pairs you know they are from the same batch and have been tested to ensure they are compatible with one another

Old 10-20-2010, 03:57 AM   #8
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

What slots are the memory in currently?

ex: (A1 and B1), (A2 and B2)
Old 10-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceHood View Post
Hey,
Junk status, cmon guys its not that bad its defintely adequate for my rig. But i have a new update for you, Ive been running both sticks of ram in a non dual channel config for about 2-3 hours now with no crashes! usually they happen about every 10-20 minutes. All the previous times i had them both in on the dual channel mode and i suspect that caused it to crash. So why wouldnt it work in dual channel? is it because it wasnt from a kit i bought two single ones perhaps? i would still like to utilise dual channel.
Yes the PSU is pretty much junk class and certainly not adequate to safely power your hardware.
The mismatched RAM was probably the problem attempting to use Dual Channel. The best option for RAM is to use matching pairs to insure stability.

Closed Thread